Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Boiled water

(17 Posts)
Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:26:49

My 10 week old is constipated from having infant gaviscon, in a lot of pain. Someone told me to give her a couple oz of cooled boiled water. (Formula fed) with a little bit of sugar do I do this?

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 17:54:55

I did it and it worked. Cooled boiled water with about half a teaspoon of light brown sugar. Poo landed about an hour later! No harm to be done, I don't think? I was told to do it by retired midwife neighbour.

Flowerpup Thu 13-Feb-14 18:04:30

It usually works a dream! My mum told me to do it and she was right

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 18:15:27

Btw my baby is 10 weeks too and I did it two weeks ago when he was only 8 weeks.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 13-Feb-14 18:18:29

I'd try the water minus the sugar first

Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:07:22

Done it! Thanks, it worked! Poos are almost back to normal! Has anyone tried it for trapped wind as she struggles to let wind out of her bottom too, thought it might work? What's everyone think?

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 19:09:33

Can't see how that would work but haven't tried it. DS is a windy baby and sugar water didn't produce any extra.

HelenHen Thu 13-Feb-14 19:20:11

Ooh I never heard of that... Must take note for future reference!

Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:27:04

Sorry meant just the boiled water, I read it somewhere

Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:27:45

We try everything to get wind out but still strains and fidgets with it at night!

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 19:44:37

Have you tried gripe water? We had moderate success with that.

Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:07:39

Yes we have tried all of them lol! I might try the gripe water again but use it after the feed, rather then before when we put it in her bottles

mumofboyo Thu 13-Feb-14 20:49:35

Have you tried something like Dentinox for the trapped wind? It helped my dd when she was that age.
Another thing you could try, if you haven't already, is gently bicycling your baby's legs and then making a sort of circle with them one way then the other. You could also try baby massage - when I used to do the I Love U on ds' abdomen he'd have a huge trump not long after. They might offer massage courses at your local SureStart.

Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:37:14

Hi mumofboyo yes we cycle her legs, sometimes she lets one out! I do some baby massage that I've watched on you tube, I've got on a class but doesn't start for a of couple weeks. Is the dentinox for trapped wind? No that's one I haven't tried. Used colief and infacol. People keep telling me after 12 weeks it improves, fingers crossed!!

mumofboyo Thu 13-Feb-14 21:47:27

Yes I think so; it contains dimeticone which (as far as I know) helps release the bubbles of air/wind. It certainly seems to do something to the milk when you add it (my dc were bottle-fed) - it makes it go kind of 'flat' and all the bubbles disappear. It worked for my dd although of course all children are different.

Babyb2013 Thu 13-Feb-14 21:54:11

Thank you for that I will have a look for it

MrsDexter Fri 14-Feb-14 15:11:31

You are supposed to use the gripe water during or after the freed so perhaps give it to baby after feeding

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: