Talk

Advanced search

When do you start to see progress in sleep in baby?

(17 Posts)
Mamabear12 Thu 13-Feb-14 12:17:46

I feel like there has not been much progress in my little ones sleep! Okay, he is still young...but w my daughter she slowly would go longer between feeds at night and slept until 7am! My son goes down well at 7pm and sleeps until we feed him 11pm and then wakes most times 3am and a few times after! I was hoping by now he would progress to waking 4am and sleeping until 7am after that feed! When do they start sleeping longer between feeds? I know u have to feed them more during the day, but what if they dnt want more? So frustrating!

BadFam1 Thu 13-Feb-14 14:49:18

How old is your little one?

My ds is 10 weeks and still only goes a few hours between feeds at night.

A typical night is

Bed 7pm
Wakes 1am
Wakes 4am (although recently doesn't want food at this time)
Wakes for day around 6.30/7

I think although frustrating you just have to hold out and wait for them to set their own routine
smile

Melonbreath Thu 13-Feb-14 15:51:44

14 months and still waiting here..

Mamabear12 Thu 13-Feb-14 16:20:41

He is 3.5 months. I know he is young and it takes time, but a little improvement is all I ask for! By this time my daughter was sleeping until 5/6am. I know each baby is different. Just wish he would drink more so wouldn't wake again an hour later!

Pascha Thu 13-Feb-14 16:28:38

With DS1 it was 6 months, DS2 was 7 months. Both times it got better about 3-4 weeks after going into their own rooms.

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 17:47:50

Badfam, how long are your LO's wake-ups? Mind Wes similarly but are for an hour or more at a time, and so I wondered how it compared!

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 17:50:36

And Mamabear, I have the same problem as you. My 10-week-old wakes up and drinks a little only and then I can't get any more down his neck for love nor money! I don't know if that's why he wakes again a short while later, though, as if it were really hunger, surely he'd drink more?!

Mamabear12 Thu 13-Feb-14 19:43:52

Exactly, if it were hunger he would drink more! I did read today for dream feed you should keep them up an hour until they are 4 months. So we will try that tonight :-) will keep you posted.

RebeccaJames Thu 13-Feb-14 20:43:09

What do you mean? Keep them up an hour before you feed them?

lola88 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:46:51

11 months to see progress and at 2 he is still not sleeping though every night

IfAtFirstUDontSucceed Thu 13-Feb-14 22:36:08

We've only just cracked it with 10mo DS. 8pm till 8am, sometimes a little later and I'm up staring in to his cot waiting for him to wake up.
He has a nap 10-11/11:30 and again 2-4.

He had been a terrible sleeper until then though, and would often be brought in to our bed just for us to get some sleep and then all of a sudden he just got it!

There have been the odd couple of nights where his teeth have given him jip but all in all he will now sleep through! Woohoo! grin

Mamabear12 Fri 14-Feb-14 04:35:57

What I mean is...keep them up an hour while you feed them....esp since my little man takes an ounce here and an ounce there! If we let him, he will drink an ounce and go back to bed...and wake an hour later and so on.

Cross fingers it works...bc so far so good. My husband fed him at 11...right away and he drank an ounce...my husband got frustrated so came upstairs and i said...well give it time!!! we need to wait an hour before we put him to bed...so he sat him up...burped him etc. fed him another ounce. then baby didnt want anymore as usual...so we held him up right burped him and let him lie on the bed...with lights very dim of course and not too much excitement. after ten mins...we fed him another ounce. wrapped him up and fed him last ounce and an hour had gone by...so put him to bed...and he slept to almost 4am! so an improvement! esp since at 4am i manged to get him to drink 3 oz instead of his usual 1 oe 2oz...so thats another improvement...so cross fingers he sleeps until 6am at least! Then I will be happy...bc that is an improvement from his normal waking of 3am, 4am, 6am or 3am, 5am, 6am etc.

cupcake78 Fri 14-Feb-14 05:00:32

Oh dear! With ds I had to wait over 3 years to not be woken up 3 times a night!

Dd 7 months and wakes on average twice.

RebeccaJames Fri 14-Feb-14 07:26:04

That's great, Mamabear, a huge improvement. Got 5fl oz into DS but still only 2 hrs for us.

mycatlikestwiglets Fri 14-Feb-14 08:10:39

DD is also 3.5mo and manages about 3.5 hours between night feeds ATM - down around 7pm and up around 7am. She's gone for 5 hours a couple of times but there's no consistency to it which is very frustrating. Hoping it gets better soon with you OP. In the meantime pass the matchsticks!

Mamabear12 Fri 14-Feb-14 08:42:10

arghh he still woke 5am! def bc he wanted to get into our bed and cuddle. we had to bring him in bc the grandparents r visiting so we can not let him cry a few mins or it wakes them...so we brought him into our bed and he fell right to sleep. tonight though if he wakes 5am, we r going to try and sooth him etc w out picking up him. grandparents have left so its okay if he cries a little. when he woke, i tried to get him to drink more milk...of course he only drank 3 ounces total! so now, im going to wait until 11am for his next feed...i want him to drink more in one feed and bc i keep giving an ounce here and there...he just never seems hungry. by 3.5 months he should be able to drink 4 oz at least in a feed!

HugoTheHippo Fri 14-Feb-14 13:15:02

My DD is nearly six months and sleep has been getting much worse recently. She still wakes every 3 hours in the night for a feed and often in between for a cuddle as well. We are moving her into her own room this weekend and starting some No Cry Sleep Solutions as well in the hope that it will start to get better. At the moment I would be happy with just three/four hour wakings for feeds if she was sleeping steadily for the rest of the time. props up eyelids with matchsticks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now