Talk

Advanced search

Moving baby to own room.

(11 Posts)
ScaredToBeHonest Wed 12-Feb-14 22:21:42

DS is nearly 6 months old and we're planning to move him into his own room very soon. He is still in a crib in our room but we have a cot bed for him in his own room.

When we move him into his own room, is it best to put him straight into his cot bed or would that be too much change all at once? We could put his crib into his own room for a week or two and then transfer him to the cot bed if that would be better.

How has everyone else dealt with the move to their own room?

RainDancer Wed 12-Feb-14 22:25:40

I started by putting DD in the cot in her own room for daytime naps so that she got used to that first, then just started putting her in her cot at night time too after she reached 6 months. She had been in an NCT bed nest up until then so used to sleeping alongside me, but the move didn't seem to bother her. Funnily enough the move to her own room didn't seem that hard. Every other aspect of her sleeping however...! She's 14 months now though and is pretty good with the sleeping, despite a very rocky first few months! Good luck with it.

failingmammalian Wed 12-Feb-14 22:30:02

I did big cot in our room for a bit and mini crib in her new room for naps for a bit and then made the change and she hardly noticed. Depends on the babe but I think if they have good routine and sleep habits etc the change of room is a bigger deal for the mum than the baby! She knew her room as id always used it for feeding at night and first thing in am and for changing her. Good luck

findingherfeet Wed 12-Feb-14 22:32:06

Ditto above, started with day time naps/changing nappy in bedroom and spending lots of play time in there too so it was familiar, my girl loved her cot mobile so enjoyed being in her cot.

This might have all been for my own peace of mind though as I shipped her out early at 12 weeks....

ScaredToBeHonest Wed 12-Feb-14 22:33:45

DS is in a bednest too! It's going to be strange not having him beside me and I'm going to miss him. I'm looking forward to having our room back though, being able to read in bed and not having to smother myself with a pillow because I need to cough when DS has finally fallen asleep! grin

I may try putting him down for naps in his cot and then progress to him going in there at night.

ScaredToBeHonest Wed 12-Feb-14 22:35:02

Ps thanks for your replies

weesazz Wed 12-Feb-14 22:44:26

I put DD into her cot for naps and at night placed the Moses basket into the cot to get her used to it and so she wasn't going to a strange room with a strange bed. Worked fine so far xxx

RainDancer Wed 12-Feb-14 22:53:16

I missed not being able to gaze at her at night(on the odd occasion she was actually asleep...) but I really did enjoy being able to read in bed/ cough when I wanted/ roll over like a hippo once she had moved!

GingerDoodle Thu 13-Feb-14 12:33:11

DD was younger (10 weeks) and slept in her carry-cot in her crib so we put the crib in the cot for ages and then when she out-grew it we bit the bullet, got her a new mobile and put her into the cot.

mumofboyo Thu 13-Feb-14 14:55:36

I think it depends on your baby and your situation.
With ds we had no choice really but to just put him in his cot bed. He was around 6 weeks old, was a big baby and outgrew his Moses basket. Our room at the time was too small to put the cotbed in with us. We had planned on a gradual switch fro. basket to cotbed but he did a massive poo one night and absolutely covered the basket so, having nowhere else for him to sleep, put him straight in the cotbed. He was fine.
With dd she was 5 months when we changed her from basket to cotbed - first in our room (we'd moved to a larger house) then, after a few nights, into her room. She was fine too and slept much better as she wasn't being disturbed by us.
Do what you feel is right and if it doesn't work you can always change tac.

Millionprammiles Thu 13-Feb-14 16:04:55

We put the moses basket in the cot in dd's own room until she outgrew it. She was quite small so we then put one of those divider things in the cot for a while so it seemed smaller. We also put cot bumpers and teddies in later on to make it cosier. And a mattress protector, it makes the mattress a bit softer and also protects against nappy explosions.

I'm not going to say what age we did it as I'll probably come under fire (it was very young, mainly because it was a hot summer and our bedroom got the sun so was too warm for her). Dd slept a lot better and so did we.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now