Talk

Advanced search

Cradle cap starting on baby's scalp - what to do?

(7 Posts)
RebeccaJames Wed 12-Feb-14 20:46:15

My 9-week-old's head is showing a faint outline of the start of cradle cap. Can I treat it now before it gets all scaly, and if so, with what?

With DS1 it got quite bad (and smelly...TMI?!) an we had a lot of trouble shifting it. Seems like now that I know it's coming, I should strike now?

learnasyougo Wed 12-Feb-14 20:49:22

Oliver oil and a soft bristled brush, like a toothbrush. let the oil soak in, user circular Norton with brush, shampoo and rinse. if it's a lot, might take a few goes.

Eletheomel Wed 12-Feb-14 21:03:03

We used coconut oil on DS1's scalp, it got better but I don't think we used it often enough (so it was still there) and then we fell fowl of the NHS advice of 'it'll go in its own time' which turned out to be complete nonsense as he currently still has remnants of it, aged 4...

So, when DS2 arrived and started showing the slightest signs of cradle cap, we got dentinox shampoo and used it regularly and it cleared up. We recently stopped using it and it's creeping back in, so we're back to using it again.

We're also using it on DS1's scalp which is clearing up too (although it has taken a long time, probably because DS1 hates having his hair washed, so the most often we get to use it in a week is twice (sometimes just once).

KippyVonKipperson Wed 12-Feb-14 21:05:27

Dentinox shampoo, each bath time. Then rub with a towel when drying hair. Do.not.pick!

Melonbreath Wed 12-Feb-14 21:13:11

I just left dd's blush I tried olive oil but she had so much hair and it just greased it up. Dentinox helped a bit but it didn't really get too bad.

Mamabear12 Wed 12-Feb-14 21:42:27

My mom used olive oil and lemon juice mixed on my son. Then used detonix when washing his hair and a soft brush comb after the bath. After a few days it was gone smile

deakymom Thu 13-Feb-14 00:16:32

ive just combed my sons out the dentinox made it stick up so when i brushed it, it looked like a blizzard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now