Talk

Advanced search

Bye bye formula...

(7 Posts)
newmum2Jack Wed 12-Feb-14 20:20:06

Hi guys, just had the last bottle of formula. Tomorrow morning I start my DS on full fat milk. Do I give every bottle from now on the real stuff, or do I alternate to wean... I don't know, just asking, and also how much milk do I give him, the same as the formula? X

mumofboyo Wed 12-Feb-14 20:31:40

I think it depends on your baby and whether he likes the whole milk. For my two I just switched without a second thought and didn't bother measuring it; I just put some into a cup and they drank it - in fact they drank it much more readily than the formula. I don't think the actual volume matters - the guideline amount is 1pt a day but that can be in any form and doesn't have to be as a drink: milk (including that on cereal), yoghurt, cream (in mash for instance), butter, cheese etc.

TheScience Wed 12-Feb-14 20:32:51

They need about 350ml of full fat cows milk after 12 months (a pint is formula 6-12 months).

belleface Wed 12-Feb-14 20:33:32

hi

i'm no expert but i have recently switched DD to cows' milk from formula and she took to it fine (although she does love her food/milk, bless her!). i started to mix a bit of formula and milk, e.g. 4oz/1oz to start then over a few days just reduced the amount of formula. i did it this way as i think a friend of mine did it like that and it worked ok! i am not sure DD even noticed tbh, i probably could have just switched it over, or just half/half one day.

i give her the same amount of milk that i used to of formula for now. although she doesn't seem to want as much when she's at the childminder.

FWIW i don't believe there's a right or wrong way to do it. i'm sure DS will let you know if he's not happy wink.

hope that helps x

BarberryRicePud Wed 12-Feb-14 20:34:00

Ah it's a great moment, just pouring it out of the fridge!

DS was not impressed when we switched. I just gave him a whole cup of cows milk and he blank refused. Ended up having to switch an ounce at a time, so 6oz formula, one cows milk for a couple of days, then 5:2...

I also had to warm it to begin with, same temp as formula, and slowly cool it til he was happy to have it straight from the fridge.

Then you have the problem of locating cows milk for them to drink in the afternoon when you're out and about...!

newmum2Jack Wed 12-Feb-14 21:21:47

Thanks all, very helpful! grin

GingerDoodle Thu 13-Feb-14 12:36:33

As others have said, theres no right or wrong. Personally I mixed formula (I always used the ready made bottles of Aptmil) with cows milk for a few weeks.

My DD liked it straight out of the fridge i the summer but nows its cold prefers it warm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now