Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Didn't know where to post this

(5 Posts)
TwittyMcTwitterson Wed 12-Feb-14 20:08:57

But it loosely falls under being a parent/parenting!

Is a vw beetle a suitable car for a small family? I currently drive a xsara Picasso. It's a lovely size but it's old and rickity and at 26 I feel I should have something less 'old'. DD is 2.5 so shouldn't be too fiddly getting her in her car seat. Generally it's only me and her in the car and at the weekends DP gets in as I'm always the driver. He jokes about ppl thinking I'm his grandma etc etc. every month or so we have two more people on car. Generally one other max. I'd like them to have a comfortable ride but I'm paying for the car not them.

Anyway, you didn't want my life story, is a VW beetle going to be big enough? If not, can you suggest another reliable, cheap suitable car???? Thanks

moobaloo Wed 12-Feb-14 21:39:52

Should be ok, get one with 5 doors though not 3! Much easier with kids

Other cars...

Vw golf
Peugeot 206
Vauxhall corsa or Astra
Ford fiesta or focus
Renault Clio or megane

Personally I'd recommend the ford fiesta! I don't have one myself but they seem fab. I have an estate car for work and I love it but it's not necessary unless you carry a lot of stuff or tow etc. a medium hatchback like a vw beetle should be fine

Would you be buying new or second hand?

TwittyMcTwitterson Wed 12-Feb-14 21:51:54

Thanks for reply.

Second hand and dirt cheap. Approx 1k.

They don't do five doors but I had a three door focus for a weekend tbh didn't notice much more difficulty.

I find my boot is filled with crap regardless of its size. I had a 5dr mk3 focus before too and it was lovely.

The main problem I see with the beetle is that it only had two seat belts in the back. I'm not sure whether this means it's illegal to have a third person in the back as they can't wear a seatbelt shock

Otherwise I was thinking vectra, mondeo or c max.

moobaloo Sat 15-Feb-14 23:54:14

Some cars only have two seatbelts in the back, so yes this makes it only a 4 seated so no third person allowed. I used to have one, was a pain.

Vectra mondeo and c max all quite a bit bigger than a beetle! Slightly smaller/more economical versions would be Vauxhall Astra or ford focus?

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 16-Feb-14 08:01:17

Had a focus. Loved it but would prefer the mondeo I think. I'm thinking my options are to be very sensible and boring or all out stupid wink going to look at a beetle today and go from there grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now