Talk

Advanced search

Baby at 30th party - opinions and advice please?

(12 Posts)
BeetlebumShesAGun Wed 12-Feb-14 18:55:12

Hi,

My stepsister is 30 in a couple of weeks and is having a party for friends and family at her house. We have a 10 week old DD.

We are expected to attend and can't get a babysitter (MIL is on holiday, we dont see FIL, my dad is on holiday and my mum and partner are going to the party.) I don't drive, so wouldn't be able to go alone without DD and OH unless I stayed in a hotel with my mum etc.

Basically I am asking, do you think it is ok for us all to go to the party, take DD with us and have her sleep in her pram/upstairs in a travel cot with a baby monitor? We would then stay in a hotel all together. The party starts at 630pm.

Thanks

Chickz Wed 12-Feb-14 19:00:24

That sounds fine to me. I've taken my dd out in the evening and she either sleeps in my arms or in a car seat in another room.

TheScience Wed 12-Feb-14 19:05:36

Ask your stepsister what she would prefer - you bringing the baby or not coming.

We took DS to (informal) parties at that age and he just slept in a bedroom.

Nomorepeppapig Wed 12-Feb-14 19:09:10

Yeah that sounds fine! Unless your sister would rather you didn't bring her. Then you get out of going all together!

BarberryRicePud Wed 12-Feb-14 20:11:57

Honestly? No.

SIDS advice is to have babies sleep in the same room as you for 6 months, that includes naps and early evening.

Perhaps the hotel could provide a babysitter? Could you ask a friend? Or let her sleep in a buggy near you?

I couldn't have left my dc at 10 weeks at all, but certainly not alone in a hotel room. Then again, at 10 weeks, either of mine would still have been screaming the whole evening (colic).

BeetlebumShesAGun Wed 12-Feb-14 20:30:43

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Barberry - sorry I wasn't clear - she would be sleeping in her buggy at the party, or upstairs in another room at the party, not in the hotel room! I meant that when the party finishes we would go to the hotel all together.

lifesobeautiful Wed 12-Feb-14 20:32:04

I would definitely take him! Have been to several parties with my two little ones and also just used a travel cot, in an upstairs room, with a monitor. Relax and have fun if you do go!

PatriciaHolm Wed 12-Feb-14 20:36:19

Of course! I would mention it but I would have thought most people would assume you were taking a 10 week old with you anyway. I think we took DD over the place at that age.

Artandco Wed 12-Feb-14 20:38:31

I would take but not leave in a buggy/ bedroom alone at that age. Take in baby sling, he will be Close all night then people will want to fuss him anyway at that age. You can always leave earlier than usual.

BeetlebumShesAGun Wed 12-Feb-14 20:39:07

And yes, stepsister would definitely prefer us to bring DD rather than not attend - in fact she seemed disappointed when I first mentioned finding a babysitter! She adores DD bless her.

BarberryRicePud Wed 12-Feb-14 20:41:04

Ah, I misunderstood, sorry! Definitely take her and have fun.

BeetlebumShesAGun Wed 12-Feb-14 20:45:44

I guess I am just worried - she is so good at her bedtime routine, going to sleep at 7 and sleeping through until 2am, then again until 7am, I don't want to mess it up!

But we will go to the party and enjoy ourselves smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now