Talk

Advanced search

16 months old and still not walking

(14 Posts)
mummysbigsmiles Wed 12-Feb-14 17:36:35

My daughter is 16months old soon to be 17mo and still not walking. She took some steps which I recorded on my phone a few weeks ago but she hasn't done it since and she just falls down when I let her go.... I wouldn't say I'm worried as such because I know she is capable of it but I think I'm maybe a little anxious..... I feel as though people may judge me because I have such a late walker.... Help!!!confused

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 12-Feb-14 17:40:05

My DS wasn't walking at 16 months. Not even a step. He was a bottom shuffler. Now he's 19 months and running. I can't stop him!

It's hard not to worry, but I'm sure you needn't. And I'm pretty certain nobody with any sense would judge you for it!

Beanymonster Wed 12-Feb-14 17:41:28

If your concerned maybe speak to the doctors? If there's a problem they are the people who will pick up on it? But more than likely she's just happy to have people so everything for her wink

claremoss Wed 12-Feb-14 18:52:07

My nephew didn't walk till 16 months, but ring HV if worried, am sure it is absolutely fine, we all develop at different paces but we all get there smile

lola88 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:04:02

I know a woman who's son didn't walk until 2 days before he was due to see a consultant about not walking he was around 20 months didn't do the wobbly few steps and fall down stuff just got up and started walking.

SconesForTea Wed 12-Feb-14 19:10:26

DD2 didn't walk until 21m. Nothing wrong with her, just a very late walker. T hey all get there in their own time!

MrsTowMater Wed 12-Feb-14 20:15:02

My DS2 didn't walk until 19 months. He's just turned 2 now and although still not great at climbing (thank heavens really!) you'd never guess he was a late walker. He was slightly hypermobile though (double jointed) which was diagnosed at 14 months and he needed about 8 sessions of physiotherapy to help strengthen his muscles to compensate for over flexible joints. He's fine though. By the end of the sessions he was walking so the Physiotherapist gave us a sheet with some exercises to continue doing at home with him and he's come on in leaps and bounds. I know what you mean about feeling judged though, I hated it and secretly I think I felt it was my fault he wasn't walking, which is ridiculous. They are all different and it's not something you should feel judged for at all. DS1 walked at 11 months, DS2 needed a bit of help and took 8 months longer but I treated them both the same so it's nothing you are or aren't doing!

ShitOnAStick Sat 15-Feb-14 14:05:40

Not walking at 16 months is within the normal range, unless you really think there's a problem there's no need to worry and certainly don't worry about being judged for having a late walker!
My ds1 walked at exactly 18 months and took no steps prior to this. I expect she'll walk soon if she's already taken some steps.

KatyN Sun 16-Feb-14 07:55:18

He's still in the normal range to start walking so try not to worry. Obv this doesn't help when you hang out with other children -one of our nct gang was walking before mine was crawling. I shed many many tears of worry.

Your hv should be able to reassure you too if you need it.

K

KangKorandKoloth Sun 16-Feb-14 08:03:18

DS2 didn't until 20 months and DS1 didn't until 18 months I think both were on the late side of normal. DS2 is now 2 years 2 months and doesn't go in the pushchair anymore (his choice). Doesn't help when ever other child you see can do it and has been doing it for months.

Your DD'll get there in the end. The fact she's already done some steps is really good.

I'd talk to the hv if you're concerned

Addictedtoamazon Sun 16-Feb-14 12:32:22

My daughter didn't walk until she was 18 months old. She just got up and did it one day like she had been doing it for weeks. We were on the verge of seeking medical advice when she surprised us with it. Recently a friend of ours was getting worried about her son who wasn't walking. He did it for the first time just before his second birthday. But as always, if you are worried, check with the HV or GP.

KingscoteStaff Sun 16-Feb-14 13:03:13

Nephew who didn't walk til 18 months is now U15 County cricketer.

He was just such an efficient crawler that he didn't see the point!

MiaowTheCat Sun 16-Feb-14 18:27:12

DD1 didn't walk till late 18 months - just needed to get it all straight in her mind before committing herself to doing it. DD2 is looking likely to start within the next fortnight or so - aged 11 months!

DD1 can now leg it away from where I want her to be with the best of 'em - but it was really soul destroying at the time when all her cohort were walking away from her. Had the odd snarky comment - mainly because DD1 is so bloody tall she looks like a child aged 3-4 years old though.

strawberrie Sun 16-Feb-14 18:32:54

My DS didn't walk until 17 months odd. He got stuck at the stage of 1-2 wobbly steps for ages. But he could zoom around or flat with a brick trolley or that bastarding vtech walker.

He's now 2.5 and can run like the wind, jump, climb, everything his peers can do.

I'm sure your DD will be fine. You'll probably find that she is more stable on her feet once she starts walking than a younger toddler. Anyone who judges you over your child's development is a fool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now