Talk

Advanced search

DS is 9 and he likes a girl. I am melting.

(29 Posts)
nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 10:53:14

DS1 announced last week that he thinks he "is at an age when he might like to ask a girl to the valentine's disco".

Not a problem Son. I'll put the disco on the calendar.

One week later "I have tried to ask her but my brain goes bleeeeeurgh when I talk to her. What is that about?"

We had a very funny chat about how hard it can be when you like somebody. I let him know it took his father 7 years to tell me he liked me.

He decided to not ask her to the disco but instead to send her a valentine's card as he wouldn't actually have to talk to her about it. And asked if she could come round to play sometime.

He chose a card when we were doing the shopping and I gave him a little packet of love hearts which he included in the card and he used a princess leia sticker to seal the envelope.

Finally yesterday he gave her the card at the end of the school day. Over dinner, he was creased up with laughter at how he had to give it to her and run away.

I noticed in the playground that the girl was delighted and showing all of her friends. Unfortunately the friends were pointing and laughing and he noticed. The girl, was holding her friend back from making a scene. He's worried not only that he will be teased today at school but that he will lose his temper. We practised a 'mind your own business' stock response to any teasing.

I am so proud of him it's making me melt. I'm so happy that he is sharing these feelings with us as a family and that he is so aware of his emotions about it all.

Just squeeeee.

This is just a cathartic share thread, sorry. <melts into a puddle of hormones and non-stealth boasting>

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 11:36:59

just me then grin

feetheart Wed 12-Feb-14 11:43:22

I think he sounds lovely and very sweet smile

DS is 8 and thinks girls are weird. He may have a point!

GingerMaman Wed 12-Feb-14 12:04:46

Thats so cute! He sounds very sweet indeed smilesmile

moldingsunbeams Wed 12-Feb-14 12:08:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dobedobedo Wed 12-Feb-14 12:10:21

Aww that's so cute.

DS had a girlfriend briefly (aged 8). Until she left him for some kid called Ben because Ben bought her a teddy bear. He came home and burst into tears. MELT!!

ForTheLoveOfSocks Wed 12-Feb-14 12:13:51

How adorable. He sounds like he will grow into a lovely young man when he is older <melt>

I hope you're v proud of him smile

HyvaPaiva Wed 12-Feb-14 12:14:28

This is so lovely!

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 12:21:53

I think the reason i'm feeling so proud is that I remember my Dad would tease us endlessly about having boyfriends/girlfriends to the point that we kept everything secret from him. I feel that it's a sign that we are doing something right if he's happy to discuss over the dinner table even if he is giggling about how silly he feels. We're able to reassure him that it's totally normal and yes, funny.

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 16:42:40

Nobody teased him and he got a card in return.

ahhhh.

Mamabear12 Wed 12-Feb-14 17:20:38

How sweet!

HelenHen Wed 12-Feb-14 19:58:11

Oh how lovely smile made me grin! Keep us updated with the love story!

lljkk Wed 12-Feb-14 20:16:23

Awwwww.....

sarahandduck Wed 12-Feb-14 20:17:50

Awwww, very sweet.

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:21:12

I saw them both chatting at the end of school so it hasn't rendered them both unable to speak to each other.

Adorable.

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:22:09

for those of you enjoying this, here's the poem he chose for the card

roses are red
daisies are white
i like you
'cause you're alright.

MyBalletShoes Wed 12-Feb-14 20:25:34

Is he going to invite her home for tea??

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:27:35

yes i think that is his plan. iirc from his 8th birthday party she is as fussy an eater as he is. a match made in heaven.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Wed 12-Feb-14 20:29:34

Have you picked your wedding outfit yet grin

I bet he's like the cat that's got the cream smile

nevergoogle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:35:23

his feathers appear a little plumper yes.

arf at wedding outfit.

ForTheLoveOfSocks Thu 13-Feb-14 04:32:58

never you've got to come back and update us how his first tea date goes smile

Anjou Thu 13-Feb-14 04:53:57

That's lovely! Good job on bringing up a lovely wee boy/gentleman. smile

AnotherMonkey Thu 13-Feb-14 08:47:12

That is just lovely smile

Anothermrssmith Thu 13-Feb-14 11:57:57

That is so adorable! Loving his poem as well,need to out that in hubbys valentines card tomorrow (we're more the take the piss out of each other rather than the dovey type of couple)

nevergoogle Thu 13-Feb-14 14:50:13

with all this going on i've forgotten to get a card for DH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now