Talk

Advanced search

what is the going rate for pocket money these days?

(5 Posts)
wishinguponmanystars Tue 11-Feb-14 19:41:57

Hi
I want to start giving my 7.5 year old pocket money and wondered what is the going rate? Also at what age did yours start getting pocket money?

jungletoes Tue 11-Feb-14 19:44:30

At that age, if I remember correctly, I gave mine £1-£1.50. Subs for Brownies, sweets and occasional magazine were all paid for by me. I don't think they need a lot at that age.

Breezy1985 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:45:15

Mine are 8 & 9 and started getting pocket money a year ago, they get £5 a week which they buy sweets/magazines with or save. Works out cheaper for me and I don't get pestered every time we go to the shop now, they know when it's gone it's gone.

TheDayOfMyDoctor Tue 11-Feb-14 19:48:55

DS is almost 6 and gets £1.50 per week. The 50p's are saved to go in his bank account and he saves the £1's for mini figures, moshi's etc. He's only just started getting pocket money - we were keen to introduce the concept of saving up for things.

wishinguponmanystars Tue 11-Feb-14 20:47:32

Ok great thanks everyone smile I was thinking about £1-1.50 and have said he can use it for an extra school snack, sweets or save up for other things etc. Just wanted to check it was an ok amount first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now