Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a 10 week old (or there abouts) and fancy a chat?

(20 Posts)
Toowittoowoo Tue 11-Feb-14 11:49:20

As this is DD2 I don't really have time to meet other mums with babies, so I'll have to chat online instead of sitting in a coffee shop as I did with DD1!

Anyone care to humour me?! What are your babies doing? Do they sleep? Anyone worked out how to get them to nap? Are people managing to get out and about? Anyone started doing any exercise?

My DD2 is FF and is sleeping really well - fingers crossed it will last as she is soooo much better so far than DD1 was. We have started trying to get her to sleep upstairs at 7pm for the last 2 nights. Mixed results so far but it is still early days! I really want to find time to go swimming now but I can't work out how I am going to fit it in even if DD2 does go to sleep at a reasonable hour as I so bloody knackered each evening and just want to relax on the sofa and watch TV.

Scotinoz Tue 11-Feb-14 12:18:54

I have a ten week old smile.

She's sleeping pretty well - 11pm til 3ish, then either down again til 6ish or very unsettled at which point I pick her up and she snoozes quite happily on me. Daytime naps are a bit less structured - sometimes she naps every couple of hours but today she was wide awake for 4 hours straight then dead to the world for a good few hours.

Not tried getting her to bed...her own bed...at 7ish yet. Still just settling her ehen we go. Must try giving it a go...

This is baby number one and we're going for the ''just kinda going with the flow" parenting (ie haven't a clue LOL!)

She's smiling lots, has lovely chats with her Lamaze toys, enjoys walks in the pram and is generally a really jolly and laid back baby.

Exercise wise - we aim to have a walk every day (although its weather dependant) and I struggled back to Pilates at 8 weeks. It's bring your baby classes and she's happy to snooze through them.

Always love a chat about bubs!

hope123x Tue 11-Feb-14 15:59:24

I have a 14 week old!

Sleeping wise he goes in his cot in our room at 730pm and sleeps until 6-7am waking once for a feed, feel lucky that he's in a good routine so making the most of the sleep at the moment! He doesn't have any nap routine though, usually naps a couple hours after waking then the rest of the day can be pretty random!

Exercise doesn't exist for me!! Apart from going for walks with the dog and the pram but it isn't enough to loose some baby weight!!

How did you find it going from one child to two?! Is it harder then going from no children to having a baby??

Germanwife Tue 11-Feb-14 16:06:43

I have a 9 week old! He is ebf and we are kind of getting the hang of the whole sleeping thing. He'll fall asleep between 7 and 8pm but will wake every 2-3 hours.

We have most certainly not figured out daytime naps, and this Is currently our no. my time is taken up with getting him to nap, and comforting him when he has a meltdown from over tiredness. He won't, no matter what I try (we even tried routines etc). He gets tired very quickly but we never manage to get him to nap longer than 30 mins. As a result, all our trips outside are a failure - he never naps on the go so ends up being overtired very quickly, and we then have a huge meltdown.

I am so jealous of those mums who manage to hang out in cafes and go to exercise classes! I barely manage a walk around the block sad

Please tell me other 9-10 week olds do this?

Bubblegoose Tue 11-Feb-14 16:17:37

11 week old here. No structure at all, but she's a very easy baby and has a night time schedule like scotinoz's little one.

Couldn't begin to tell you about daytime sleeps, it seems so random. I'm out and about a lot and baby goes in the sling and goes straight to sleep.

I also have an extremely lively toddler. It makes me wonder what I did all day when I just had one! Although DD1 was also pretty easy - Germanwife it sounds like you are having a hard time. Have you tried a sling at all? Some babies find it very soothing and just drop off. Mine both did, anyway. I have heard of babies who hate being carried.

Scotinoz Tue 11-Feb-14 16:18:26

<So glad nobody else has the napping thing sorted yet!>

Germanwife Tue 11-Feb-14 16:53:42

Bubblegoose - we have a sling and DS used to sleep in it, then suddenly stopped! Whenever we go outside he just looks around wide-eyed.

Germanwife Tue 11-Feb-14 16:58:16

Oh and definitely having a hard time, bubble goose. Especially as all my friends have very portable babies (who sleep through the night, of course...)and it makes me wonder what on earth I'm doing wrong.

Discogeek Tue 11-Feb-14 17:04:50

I have an 11 week old and a 6 year old DS too.
DS2 is EBF so goes 2-3 hours between feeds during day. Naps are 2 hours after school run then a bit hit and miss for rest of the day.
On an evening we'll put him down to sleep in cot in our room at 8ish. So far he's sleeping till 3ish before waking for a feed which I'm pretty happy with but hoping as next few weeks go on he'll start going a little longer. He can then be hard to settle and wakes a couple of times before morning starts at 6.30-7ish.
I've been aiming to get out for walks each day but this weathers so awful sometimes I don't manage to do more than the school run! Have started back at my tap class though and attempted a fitness DVD this week though taking it easy as had CS.
DS2 is happy taking a bottle of expressed milk so gives me the odd hour to do a class but most evenings I'm so tired I don't want to do anything more than slob in front of TV and eat chocolate!
So pleased to hear others have similar nap and sleep times as me, makes me feel much better about the lack of sleep and routine!

Discogeek Tue 11-Feb-14 17:07:24

Germanwife sounds like your having a tough time, it's so hard when you can't get out. Does he get overtired going out in sling too? That sometimes helps DS2 when he's being grouchy.

Germanwife Tue 11-Feb-14 17:15:15

Discogeek- to be honest, I only tried going out twice in a sling with him, as the weather has been so dire. Once it was ok, but a very short walk and the second time he was still very unsettled - his eyes were closing but he would promptly open them again! I just kind of gave up, tbh. I'm hoping this is something that resolves itself around week 12, when babies cope with sleep better.

Discogeek Tue 11-Feb-14 19:17:19

Germanwife it might be worth trying the sling again when you've got him in a fairly good mood and he's had a big feed, might help him nod off?
I did find that things got slightly more settled and (dare I say) easier at 10 weeks, felt like something had shifted slightly and feeding and sleeping was becoming more routine.
Hold on - it does get better smile

Germanwife Tue 11-Feb-14 19:21:07

Thanks discogeek! We just entered week 10 so fingers crossed! As soon as the weather improves, will be trying the sling again!

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:36:44

Hi smile

My little boy is 10 weeks and I'm loving being a mum!
He was born by EMCS so I didn't get out much for the first 6 weeks as I was recovering from the surgery.

His night time sleep is good - he is generally asleep between 7pm and 8pm and wakes only once. We get up around 6.30am/7am when dh is up for work.

Daytime - he doesn't really sleep much. He has a nap of about 45 mins at about 9am, then an hour round lunch time and about 45mins around 3pm but that seems to be all he needs.

He eats around 7oz every 3-4hours in the day plus the one night feed but he's over 14lb so a big boy.

We go to baby boomting once a week plus story and rhyme at the library. Sometimes baby play at the children's centre. We are starting baby massage next week.

Otherwise we play at home, visit family, do the shopping and he sits in his bouncer while I do a few jobs chatting to him.

DaleyBump Tue 11-Feb-14 19:42:20

Me me pick me smile

DS is 10 weeks old, he's such an easy baby. He's EBF and usually sleeps through from about 10/11 - 6/7 but he will not sleep during the day unless he's in the sling and even then only if I'm moving about and not for long. No routine for feeding, he's constantly hungry and on the 91st centile. I've found that keeping to a routine at night (massage, story, feed) helps him to sleep better. He's happy to sleep in his basket or in our bed which is totally awesome. My pelvis is still fucked from when I was pregnant so exercise is kind of off the cards right now which is bothering me.

Toowittoowoo Tue 11-Feb-14 19:47:33

Thank you for replying Scot! I know what you mean by 'go with the flow parenting' I think that is what we did with DD1. This time round however I think it DD2 who is going to have to go with the flow as DD1 (3 yrs old) loves routine and is so far more vocal and articulate than DD2! Bath time is at 6pm, stories are at 6.30pm and bed time is 7pm so DD2 is in that routine far earlier than we ever tried with DD1.

Napping is a mystery to me though....If anyone figures it out please let me know! Dd2 will so far only sleep in the buggy when we are out or in the car.

Toowittoowoo Tue 11-Feb-14 19:49:58

Wow it has taken me so long to reply to scot that loads of other people have reading! Sorry...how rude of me!

Haribolover Tue 11-Feb-14 20:41:46

DD is 10 weeks and we don't have any routine. Start in to stress a bit that we should have d

Haribolover Tue 11-Feb-14 20:45:58

Ooops, to finish post! DD is 10 weeks and we have no routine at all. Starting to be stressed that we should have tried to establish one by now. She really only sleeps after a fed and if this fails walking round the house to sleep. How did people decide on a routine to try? Have we misdeed the boat on a bedtime routine?

She is napping a lot less in the day but are seeing her being over tired so going to try and get her to nap during the day.

Bubblegoose Wed 12-Feb-14 01:04:21

Haribo I really wouldn't worry about it, please don't stress. You definitely haven't missed the boat. With DD1 we established a routine around six months and she slotted into it very easily.

Don't know about you but with my 11 week old feeding times are all over the place and naps aren't settled so I don't see much point in establishing a routine yet. But if you're the kind of person who needs that order in your day and it works for you, then fine.

The routine we used was (very loosely) based on Gina Ford - just the timings for eating and sleeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now