Talk

Advanced search

ds 3yrs swimming with a cold yay o nay???

(11 Posts)
rockyroadahead Tue 11-Feb-14 09:45:15

ds is 3 yrs he has had one illness after another cold mild and bad mainly .. I feel like I am just keeping him cooped up now because he is always ill.. spoken to GP she says its normal at his age to always be ill and he again has a pretty bad cold with a temperature ...

but he is bored out of his mind ! we have exhausted all of our rainy days activities he needs to get out of the house but its raining outside and I don't really have the money to take him to play place and he just gets so over exited when he is there.

my gut is telling me swimming is not a great idea but wondered if I was being over protective.

he has a swim lesson today its half hour inside pool obviously should I let him go or not...??

what would you do ?

littlebellsmum Tue 11-Feb-14 11:28:38

Hiya - personally, I wouldn't. Mainly cos you get cold when you are in and out of the pool even if the pool is warm and thats not nice when you have a cold. Never mind the snot in the pool issues !

On the other hand it sounds like you both need to get out - could you just put on waterproofs and splash in puddles? That would give him some air to blow the cold away and if my 3 rd old is anything to go by, he would have a blast.

Hope he gets better soon and that it stops raining!

cathpip Tue 11-Feb-14 11:34:55

Tog him up and put him in the buggy and go for a walk, fresh air works wonders for my two when they are full of cold.

rockyroadahead Tue 11-Feb-14 13:19:18

thank u went with my gut and cancelled swimming and good point littlebell I didn't think about how cold it is when u get out that wont much fun...

yesterday we attempted a walk and it totally hammered down .. it was more that I didn't wanna walk about in it will try again after nap time

littlebellsmum Tue 11-Feb-14 14:53:48

Hope he feels better soon - can't believe that your 3 yr old naps - I loved the days when i used to get a nap with my dd2 in the afternoon smile

BigW Tue 11-Feb-14 14:56:30

My rule on swimming generally is: temperature = no; feeling poorly = no; snotty nose = yes.

HelenHen Tue 11-Feb-14 15:00:08

Sorry but it makes me angry when I see Sick kids in the pool or at play group. Please don't make everyone else's kids Sick! That's not fair!

matana Wed 12-Feb-14 07:58:41

I've taken ds with the remnants of a cold and when he's still had a cold. But never when he has a temperature (he even struggles getting out of a nice warm bath when he has a temp, let alone a swimming pool) or if he's still not feeling right in himself.

matana Wed 12-Feb-14 07:59:15

When he's still had a cough, sorry.

matana Wed 12-Feb-14 07:59:43

When he's still had a cough, sorry.

Wuxiapian Wed 12-Feb-14 08:00:27

I wouldn't have risked it, either, OP.

Hope he gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now