Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me it gets better?

(9 Posts)
Jelloonsprings Mon 10-Feb-14 15:55:34

Feeling really low, have 2 DC, 3.5 and 18 mnths. Love them to bits but neither is sleeping well, and we end up with both in our bed most nights. Endless succession of colds, minor illnesses etc (kids and me). I think I got more sleep when they were newborns. I remember with my eldest things got much better & easier after 1, but this time round it's not!

I'm overweight but because I'm so shattered I rely on chocolate & coffee/cola to give me any energy at all. I have been doing 30 day shred which has helped a little but my weight gets me down. Life just seems like a long, hard grind. We've not much money, getting no sleep, DH is out of the house 12 hours a day with a horrible commute so he gets home and falls asleep on the sofa, we hardly get to have an actual conversation any more, we have a nasty neighbour dispute dragging on, my job is at risk so having to battle with HR, and search for jobs, I'm really house proud but it's a struggle to get the basics done & the house is always a mess, things get broken & there's no money/time to sort them. I keep crying in front of the children when I feel down, which I feel so guilty about.

Is this just life with small kids & I need to grin & bear it, or does it get better? Any coping tips would be so, so welcome.

ROARmeow Mon 10-Feb-14 17:54:16

Have a brew

I feel a bit like you, but my DC1 is 4 and my DC2 is 18 months. I do think it's easier now one of them is old enough to do more for themselves and a bit more rational...sometimes!

No wonder you feel so rubbish if you're on your own with DC so much. Are you a SAHM? Do you get out and about with DC? What about time on your own?

I think once the better weather comes you'll feel more positive (I know I always do), and if you felt better about your body you'd feel more optimistic.

It is hard, you aren't bad for thinking so.

Jelloonsprings Mon 10-Feb-14 18:03:27

Aw thank you. Good to know it's not just me. I know no-one says its easy with little kids but I wasn't prepared for it to be this hard confused

I work 2 days a week, which I normally enjoy, but atm with lots of jobs under threat (including mine!) it's just another stress.

I am holding on for spring to come, HATE winter so much.

TwittyMcTwitterson Mon 10-Feb-14 18:26:00

It's not just you! It WILL get easier.

Do you have anyone who can look after them one evening/day at weekend? A little rest and child free time with DP/DH can make a big difference. just be careful you don't get DC3 from it wink

Jelloonsprings Mon 10-Feb-14 18:38:56

genuine lol at that EveesMummy. I always thought I wanted a big family. Now...not so much.

My parents look after them while I work so I'm reluctant to ask too many more favours. Having said that, DH and I have a day off booked when my parents are looking after them in a couple weeks. I cannot wait! grin

issimma Mon 10-Feb-14 18:42:19

I just read your OP to DH, and he asked 'Is that you?'. EXACTLY the same!! They're in bed now and I have wine. Will lurk and hope people say it gets LOADS easier very soon!!

Zamboni Mon 10-Feb-14 18:48:19

Not just you OP. Mine are 3.1 and 15 months. The youngest doesn't sleep. I don't want to wish their lives away but I am looking forward to life getting easier!

Jelloonsprings Mon 10-Feb-14 18:54:04

Issi - You're doing well to have them in bed already <impressed>

I'm SO glad others feel the same, I feel as if, in real life it's too shocking to say this stuff out loud & everyone tells me 'treasure the time while they're little, it's the best years'. Well when I'm cleaning wee off the carpet while holding a screaming little one at 1am I can tell you, if these are the best years then I give up!.

TwittyMcTwitterson Mon 10-Feb-14 18:57:35

DP no longer wants a big family after one DD so you're defo not alone. It's kind of like school, you hated being there but look back fondly. My DD is just becoming an absolute pleasure and we couldn't handle two just yet so hats off to you! Your parents have been through it and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to have them an extra day xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now