Talk

Advanced search

Worried son not drinking. Advice?

(14 Posts)
Mamabear12 Sun 09-Feb-14 16:16:48

He is 3.5 months and today not drinking much at all! It's almost 4pm and he has had a total of 8oz. I tried breast as well. He is acting normal, smiling etc. doesn't seem to have a temp. What's going on?? Help.

KateBG Sun 09-Feb-14 18:07:13

If the kid is acting normally you shouldn't worry. If he was 5 months old I would suggest that he has troubles with the pain from his growing teeth. It is a long process and it starts months before you can see a tooth. But you may check for aphthaes in his mouth. I guess tomorrow he will drink twice as much as he usually does. If he doesn't drink tomorrow again you may bring him to a doctor.
My son had problem with a short lingual frenulum. This makes drinking and eating hard. Your doctor can check for this.
I guess that there is nothing to be worried about.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 21:51:59

How are things now mama? Have you checked in his mouth to see if you can feel any teeth coming through? Has he fed since you last posted?

Mamabear12 Mon 10-Feb-14 05:38:51

He has had 3oz at 11 and now 1oz 5am. This is less then half what he normally drinks sad I'm worried....but he acts normal! Only difference is he slept until 5am for two nights when he usually wakes at 3am. He smiles and chats etc. he felt a little warm now, but took his temp and it read normal. I will check his mouth in morning to see if he teething...but he only 3.5 months! His sister got her first tooth at 11 months. Also, when babies teeth, usually they cry don't they? Poor my little man sad I wish he would drink!

If anyone else has had this problem or can offer adivce, please let me know. Google wasn't much help. Will call the DR today.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 14:42:55

How are things now Mama? Have you tried him with a dose of ibruprofen about half an hour before his feed?

I took it from your first post that you are mixed feeding, is that right? If so, have you spoken to a BFC? Have you got the helpline numbers? They maybe able to offer some suggestions smile

Mamabear12 Mon 10-Feb-14 20:58:35

Yes, im mixed feeding now. I basically try everything with him. Breast, pumped milk in a bottle and formula in bottle! (he wasnt interested in anything I offered...only took a little).

Today, he has improved a little....im going to see how he is tonight and tomorrow. I might take him to see the GP.

Someone suggested he might have earache...

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 21:05:44

Yes, if you go to the GP get them to check ears, throat and tummy.

Could you get some skin to skin? That might encourage him to nurse. Taking a bath together is even better as that always seems to make them want to feed.

Did you manage to call one of the helplines?

Mamabear12 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:36:26

I will try skin to skin tomo morning. I usually have him cuddle me and nurse. Sometimes he nurses and sometimes not bc he hates when my milk sprays out fast. I usually have to pump a few ounces out first before I nurse him...which I then give him to n a bottle after I breastfeed him a bit. Wish I could jug nurse him with out dealing w pumping as well! I've tried to reduce my supply a little, which has helped a little with the spraying. I still spray...but it's not as much as before (serious fountain...like a shower head shooting out). I havent called the nhs direct yet bc his feeding improved slightly and he doesn't have fever...smiling and acting normal. If his feeding is not 100 percent tomo, will call GP and health visitor. The more I read online, the more I suspect earache, as it says they can get them after a cold. He just got over a cold (runny nose and little cough).

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 21:40:08

Yep could very well be earache. Are you getting any RL help with your suspected oversupply?

Mamabear12 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:05:20

What do you mean RL help? It was def over supply bc I was pumping out 5-8 ounces every 3-4 hours, plus leaking milk all the time filling up pads, spraying out from both breasts like a shower head when he would feed....literally and couple ounces of milk would shoot out. If I fed him, I could still pump out four ounces of milk and when I pumped first (all my milk) an hour later I could feed him. I thought best thing to do was reduce supply...it has helped a bit. But now he has this suspected earache so hasn't been feeding well at all. Today he has improved at least. Cross fingers he improves and is 100% tomo!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 22:08:38

RL is real life smile. Is there a bfing support group near to you? Have you called a bfing helpline?

Mamabear12 Mon 10-Feb-14 23:24:30

Lol. Oh! Haven't really looked into breastfeeding groups. I researched online and posted on mumsnet. I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done really...he doesn't like when I spray..even if it's just a little. Sometimes it works if I pull away and spray into a napkin or bottle...I'm not sure why this time around I spray so much. I didn't first time around!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 23:27:24

Just thought they may have some suggestions, might be better than talking to me, I know fuck all really grin

Mamabear12 Tue 11-Feb-14 00:26:14

Will ask my gp tomo for recommendations. Just tried to feed him again and he took oly 2 oz. tried breast, ebm, and ff sad he just doesn't want to drink...but happy to smile or chit chat to me. Seems upset when feeding...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now