Talk

Advanced search

Necknomination; should I discuss it with my children?

(21 Posts)
sandraaet Sun 09-Feb-14 16:11:24

Hello, are you aware of the extremely dangerous latest craze being spread via Facebook?
'Necknomination' is already claiming the lives of easily influenced young people; should parents/carers speak with their youngsters to alert them of the dangers at the risk of actually making them aware of this?
This is scary stuff... https://www.facebook.com/groups/500792993365197/?fref=ts

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 09-Feb-14 16:26:53

What does it involve I don't want to go into the group incase it appears on my Facebook??

hickorychicken Sun 09-Feb-14 16:29:18

My advice would be yes, because its not just the act of the neknomination to think about its the following the crowd and being harrassed if not aspect.
Its fucking ridiculous. People have DIED.

MikeLitoris Sun 09-Feb-14 16:30:03

I have discussed it with ds. He is 13 and has a fb account so has seen some videos.

Some very local to us died last night and the rumour is it's somehow linked to a Nek Nomination thing.

Ds thinks its very stupid and has said he would never get involved but it is so hard when you see some of the abuse they theow at each other on there.

HandsOffMyGazBaz Sun 09-Feb-14 16:31:28

How old are your kids? Tbh at this point neknominations are tailing off now, especially after that poor child passed away

If they were an age I would bring it up as part of a chat about responsible drinking

morethanpotatoprints Sun 09-Feb-14 16:33:56

I have spoken to my ds about it, although they are a bit mature for this now as they are 22 and 19.
They still go out with friends though and also involved in sports clubs, where I think problems can occur.
It's been going on for years though, young people have always been daring where alcohol is concerned.
It does seem to be getting worse though, and sadly seems to affect the most vulnerable and lonely young people. These imo are the ones who will do the most daring acts, taking the glue, lighter fluid etc. They do it for friends and admiration, I feel really sorry for them.

ThreeBeeOneGee Sun 09-Feb-14 16:35:09

This is one of four posts that you've written, and the other three are similar. Are you worried on a personal level (e.g. about a young relative) or researching an article?

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 09-Feb-14 16:35:48

Why have you written 5 threads about this?

hmm

ChaosTrulyReigns Sun 09-Feb-14 16:36:19

Oh, cross posts with 3B1G.

chicaguapa Sun 09-Feb-14 16:37:22

I mentioned it to DD(12) and her friends. Not because I think they're going to do it, they're not even on Facebook, but because it's a good example of why to stand up to peer pressure etc.

I've already deleted a work colleague who had done one, posted a picture and then nominated it out. I think she's early 20s and frankly should have more sense. <shakes head in disbelief>

sandraaet Sun 09-Feb-14 18:37:20

Basically, via f/b you're challenged to 'neck' a bottle of spirit and video urself doing so; then post it onto f/b and nominate someone else to 'rise to the challenge'!!!!
It won't appear on your f/b unless you share it on your timeline though.
It is in the news so I agree that a conversation in relation to safe & responsible drinking is the best course of action to take. Thanks smile

SauvignonBlanche Sun 09-Feb-14 18:40:30

You've probably left it a bit late, TBH, this is old news.

sandraaet Sun 09-Feb-14 18:46:59

...but still relevant and still in the news. Featured in the most recent episode of The Last Leg and was discussed in a responsible way.

HamletsSister Sun 09-Feb-14 18:50:28

Kids aren't doing this anymore. However, this is not because of safety issues, but because it seems to have been taken up by the oldies. My feed has had 3 separate 40+ people doing it! all either nude or scantily dressed and all! quite frankly, should know better.

TwittyMcTwitterson Mon 10-Feb-14 18:35:25

It started off just necking a pint or a glass of wine, then people got stupid.

I heard someone say it's natural selection at its finest. How stupid do you have to be to neck a 1.5 litre concoction of a full wine bottle, a small bottle of vodka, a quarter bottle of whiskey and the rest lager?

It really is tailing off. The last two I've seen are a guy necking hot coffee and someone starting to neck water and then stopping saying 'this stops now'. Both men I went to school with and who both were pretty silly in their day.

Don't forget the RAKnominations going around now because of this... Random ACt of Kindness!

I say mention it to DCs but expect that they are not idiots and are sensible enough to realise you can do serious harm with drinking grin

lifeforsale Mon 10-Feb-14 18:39:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lifeforsale Mon 10-Feb-14 18:41:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hickorychicken Mon 10-Feb-14 18:47:02

Its not just kids, a 36 year old mother of 2 whos kids are at high school who i work with was on fb doing it confused

Cthulu Mon 10-Feb-14 18:51:23

I've mentioned this elsewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/raknominate?fref=ts

Turn it around into a Random Act of Kindness.

Elderberri Mon 10-Feb-14 18:52:23

In the end stupidity always wins out.

TitsalinaBumSquash Mon 10-Feb-14 18:55:57

My nephew (18) was on Facebook this week in a mankini doing it and then 'nominated' my 13 year old niece hmm

It's bullshit and pathetic, there have been videos posted of 25 + yrs people doing it and throwing up all over themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now