Talk

Advanced search

My newborn has mucus

(8 Posts)
Doodle1983 Sun 09-Feb-14 08:40:27

Hey, my baby is 8 days old and has a lot of mucus. He was born by CS and they said in hospital that mucus is typical of these births as it's not pushed out of their bodies during childbirth. He seems to be getting less of it as for the first 4/5 days he was constantly spitting it up, but he's still suffering any tips on how to bring it out of him? Occasionally you can hear it on his chest, sounds like he smokes 20 a day. Doesn't seen to cause him distress but it's keeping Us up at night with the frequent wiping of it ...

LittleBearPad Sun 09-Feb-14 08:42:46

It will come out.

Do you need to wipe it at night? It won't hurt him to have a bit on his face for a bit.

Congratulations.

Timpani Sun 09-Feb-14 08:47:22

Same here! Baby 2 weeks old though and vaginal birth, although it was very quick! Feeding is difficult! I've tried steam, nasal spray and even resorted to bit of snuffle babe rub on a muslin, which seems to work a bit. Horrible to listen to though. Babies are obligate nasal breathers which doesn't help ;)

Doodle1983 Sun 09-Feb-14 08:50:06

I wondered if there was some sort of steamy thing I could do..? First time parent and don't want to break him!

He sleeps through usual between feeds (I'm aware this might not last) but I'm scared he'll choke in the night, and because I've been sleep deprived for a few days the last two nights I'm sleeping really heavy.

It's certainly getting less mucus.. I'm sure as I'm about to learn with kids there is always something lol

Timpani Sun 09-Feb-14 08:54:59

I just but her in the bathroom with me and showered - had a hot shower and kept window closed and fan vent thing off. Not sure it worked as she was on the floor and the steam was obviously high up!

Don't worry about breaking him with steam! smile I've used the snuffle rub (not on her skin!) and it says not for under three months.... But I was getting desperate! The mucous and saline spray made her properly throw up a few times - it's like the mucous gets stuck in her throat and makes her gag and puke!

Scotinoz Sun 09-Feb-14 12:40:52

I had this with my wee one. A super quick labour and delivery left her full of mucous. She sounded like she smoked 20 a day and was a bit choke-y for a good few weeks. The only thing that cured it was time and a bit of chucking up hmm. I think it took her until 4/5 weeks before it sounded like it'd all gone.

We did prop the end if her bassinet up on a couple of rolled up towels which seemed to help a bit.

slightlyconfused85 Sun 09-Feb-14 13:43:24

I had a long vaginal birth and still had a mucousy baby - it used to freak me out all the time and I constantly badgered my HV but was reassured it was normal and would go away by about 6 weeks. They were right, it did, and I didn't do anything (nothing I could do anyway). It is a very normal thing, and will go away. Try not to worry.

Doodle1983 Sun 09-Feb-14 20:42:48

Thanks that's really reassuring guys! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now