Talk

Advanced search

i can't take another night like last night!

(9 Posts)
duzzlightyearsmum Sun 09-Feb-14 08:27:08

So DS has been a wonderful sleeper since about 10 months old and he is 2 next week. The past three nights have been hellish! Before he always went to bed at 7, didn't argue and often asked to go! Then he'd sleep through til the morning waking between 6 and 7! But for the past three nights it has taken roughly two hours to get him to go to sleep in the first instance and he has then been waking about 1am screaming for between 2 and last night's record was 3 hours before eventually going back to sleep! He has then not really been sleeping in any later to make up for this and yesterday refused to have a nap!

What's happened?! How can I fix it?! Xxx

mumofboyo Sun 09-Feb-14 08:37:58

If he's had a run of rubbish nights' sleep could he be getting overtired? How would it work if you put him to bed a little earlier; get him out with plenty of exercise and activity during the aft if possible then bring bedtime forward by half an hour?
You've probably already checked for illness such as a cold or ear problems which get worse at night but you could offer calpol and/or ibuprofen before bed and see if that makes a difference?

amistillsexy Sun 09-Feb-14 10:29:12

It sounds like illness or night terrors. What do you do when he wakes up, OP? If any of mine wake up, they get pulled into pur bed and snuggled back to sleep....If I'm uncomfortable, I nudge dp awake and get him to carry them back to bed (works for.me grin )

minipie Sun 09-Feb-14 13:44:59

I have heard from friends there is a mega sleep regression at 2. Sorry that's not terribly helpful but if you google it you might find some more info.

duzzlightyearsmum Sun 09-Feb-14 14:19:37

I did wonder if it were teething but he doesn't seem to be fussed by them as much as I would expect tbh to be causing all this!

We have literally tried everything from in to our bed, getting in to his bed, rocking him, sitting on the end of his bed, even resorted to bringing him downstairs with duvet and sticking toy story on this morning but in the end he just gives up from exhaustion! Have to admit I ended up in tears this morning in front of him and that did seem to stop him (feel very guilty now though sad!)

Will be taking him out this afternoon for a very long walk and run and any kind of possible exercise I can come up with!!!

I did hear something about a sleep regression at this age so maybe that's it! Just hope it doesn't last too long, I'm 11 weeks pregnant and this is exhausting even between me and DP xxx

Figster Sun 09-Feb-14 15:52:11

My DS was 2 at Xmas we've had this on and off ever since Wakes up 1-3 times a night, refuses to go bed unless we sit in with him, screaming, crying shouting its been awful hmm

He has more good nights than bad now but it's been a tough few weeks as comparably he's been so good before that.

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Feb-14 05:47:02

So we had one good night of sleep and now apparently normal service has resumed sad currently been awake since ten past two. Isn't even time for him to go back to bed now cos by the time he would be asleep it'd be time to get up and get ready for nursery sad I'm completely exhausted and DS is running around as if he's had a full nights sleep!!!! Xxx

BearsInMotion Tue 11-Feb-14 06:22:09

At least I know we're not alone! DD has been up 5 times in the night and is currently happily watching Cbeebies. She was never the greatest sleeper but this is ridiculous. She is also just 2, went to bed at 7:30 sad

duzzlightyearsmum Tue 11-Feb-14 07:26:58

BearsInMotion a very large and strong brew for the both of us! And a prayer that this will soon be over! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now