Talk

Advanced search

Help: 16 month old milk monster!

(5 Posts)
croquet Sun 09-Feb-14 07:39:20

DD is still bf (and also bf to sleep!) but eating well and we've been cutting down with a view to weaning. She'd started sleeping through more or less. But I've ruined everything by pushing the next step too quickly and now have an insatiable milk monster on my hands. I hate it: instead of cutting down bf further she has upped the quantity/frequency 500%. I want to stop bf or at least make it an occasional or once a day thing.

What caused the problems was a few weeks I decided to try and cut the association between milk and sleep. Partly so DH could put her to bed but also partly to cut down on excess suckling incase it was affecting my fertility.

So I fed her and then trying to put her down still awake-ish a few times. This didn't work and she screamed blue murder every time I've done it, for ages (during which we've cuddled her and then I've eventually relented). However since then she has massively upped how much milk she wants. She is feeding every three hours, very enthusiastically (i.e. not for comfort), and won't take no for an answer. I would say in the last 24 hours she's had 7 feeds, plus a couple of large cups of cow's milk. My body is struggling to keep up and I personally really am sick of nursing now. What shall I do? DH is supportive.

croquet Sun 09-Feb-14 07:39:50

a few weeks ago

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 10:04:28

I'd ask MNHQ to move your thread to the breast and bottle section, you'll get more posters there.

Sounds like totally normal behaviour though. I wouldn't worry too much about your fertility, I bf in the night and my periods came back at 18 months both times. I also fell pg whilst bfing. There's a good bit on kellymom about bfing and fertility.

Have you spoken to a BFC about getting her to cut down or stop? Have you got the helpline numbers?

croquet Sun 09-Feb-14 10:31:01

Thanks. I've posted it there too. I'm desperate! Just feel like I hate bf now. I've had periods since a month after birth but for various reasons not convinced I'm actually ovulating.

No I haven't looked into the BFCs. I felt a bit shy, but will look them up.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 11:19:14

Don't worry about speaking to a BFC, they are all mums who have bf, just like you smile. The numbers are towards the bottom of this page. Your local la Leche leader should be able to help.

Could you do some things to reduce feeding in the meantime? My DH used to get them up and give them breakfast, filling the DC up with food and leaving me to have a lie in. Could he take her out for sometime today? Maybe take her swimming and a sandwich?

Could you bf in just one chair and then never sit there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now