Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

oh crap. i'm a shit mum today and don't know how to turn things around

(8 Posts)
vestandknickers Sat 08-Feb-14 13:38:46

My DD (age 8) has been an absolute pain today. She's been shrieking at her brother over the slightest little thing, flatly refusing to do anything I ask her to do and the final straw was when she yelled in my face that I'm an idiot and started hitting me just because I told her to tidy her room so I could hoover it. After a day of this (I know its only early afternoon, but it feelslike a while day already) I just really lost my temper and yelled at her. I even said she's just a silly little girl. I now feel terrible and am hiding so they can't see me crying. DD and DS are now playing some very happy game and all I can hear is giggling but I feel like the shittest Mum ever. I'd really love to escape for a while, but DH is away on business so I can't. I feel I should take them out somewhere to lighten the mood for everyone, but its raining and I just can't face going anywhere in public because I feel and look like crap and am scared I will cry again in front of people. I feel so ashamed of myself and so worried about my DD's horrible behaviour.

NannyKaren Sat 08-Feb-14 15:07:10

You poor darling! Right now I just want to give you a big hug!
There are many other mums who will read this and remember when they felt exactly the same.
Can I suggest you get your coats on and go out, fresh air and outside activity works wonders.... Go splash in puddles and have a bit of fun.
I really do sympathise with you.... Do you have any friends/family who can help you whilst you husband is away?
As for the 'room thing' just shut the door!
You asked her nicely and she wasn't willing to do it and was very rude; I won't tell you how to discipline your child but don't allow it to frustrate you even more. My youngest is now 20 years old and still hasn't mastered the tidy bedroom!
Take care vestandknickers.

vestandknickers Sat 08-Feb-14 16:38:35

Thank you for being so kind Nanny. I took them in to town, went to the library and we had hot chocolate and biscuits in a café which was really nice. Spent my wine allowance on that though so it's a dry night for me. Probably just as well!

Mumof3xx Sat 08-Feb-14 16:42:17

We all have days like this I think!

Children test boundaries! I know mine like to see how far they can push me

AuditAngel Sat 08-Feb-14 16:43:33

I refused to take DC to the park and was told I was the worst mum in the world!
DD1 has the class pelican confused for the weekend and wants to do "exciting stuff" to put in pelican's diary.

I have a shoulder muscle in spasm which is trapping a nerve, no way was I going to the park.

I pointed out Pelican can go to tomorrow's swimming lesson tomorrow and we are going out for lunch, pelican can join us.

GlitzAndGiggles Sat 08-Feb-14 16:54:24

You're not a shit mum so get that out your head. Imo you did nothing wrong. As said before children test your boundaries to get their own way. Sometimes they need a firm telling off to understand they can't always have their way!

nibbysmum Sun 09-Feb-14 09:41:30

That's not a shit mum! Gosh I think it's reasonable to shout at your child once in a while! My mum used to say I was a silly little girl and shout at me and it never did a bit of harm to me. No way can you be a parent and not shout and get upset once in a while!

vestandknickers Sun 09-Feb-14 09:54:54

Thanks all. Feeling much more positive today. I don't think my ranting did her any harm, but it made me feel terrible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now