Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to cope with two under 5s

(6 Posts)
strawberryfields973 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:28:13

I have a 4 year old ds and my dd is 19 months. I work 4 days a week and my kids go to a childminder after nursery. I pick them up at 6.15 and we are home by 6.30 – 6.45. I then arrange and give them their dinner and they love playing a little after that. By the time all this finishes it is already 8 PM. I then do some reading with my ds (phonics based) after which I read them both a bedtime story or two and put them to bed.

I am really struggling with managing both of them together around bedtime. My dd likes full attention by now and would not let me talk. She would pretend to have a conversation with me and I don’t get enough time to read with my ds. I get very snappy by this point with my ds.

Any advice on how to keep the younger sibling busy whilst you deal with the older one will be appreciated. I know a lot of us must be in similar situation and must be handling this a bit better. But I have had a rough couple of weeks with them. I feel guilty of loosing my patience around them. Just wish there were a few more hours in the day.

WLmum Thu 06-Feb-14 15:38:23

Yep, bedtimes are hard when everyone wants your attention. How about having a box of special toys that she's only allowed while you read with ds? Quiet things like a sticker book, dressing up dolls.

Tbh I couldn't manage to make dd2 (and now 3) stay quiet so I get dd1&2 into pjs, read dd2 a story, and then dd1 looks at her reading book while I get dd3 in her pjs, then I feed dd3 into submission while dd1 reads to me. Then I put dd3 down and read dd1 a story.

Could you get dd into bed first?

Artandco Thu 06-Feb-14 15:49:10

I would read bedtime story together to them and then put youngest into bed. Eldest goes into bed at same time whilst you settle younger then you go in and read/ phonics with 4 year old in bed by himself before he goes to bed. So in the end one goes to sleep at say 8.15pm and one at 8.45pm.

strawberryfields973 Thu 06-Feb-14 18:23:26

Thanks a lot with the suggestions.
WLmum I might try the sticker book when I need some quiet time.

Artandco I like your idea of putting the lil one to bed before and then spend time reading. I will try that, I just feel it is too late a bedtime for a 4 yr old. You can't win it all eh!!

These suggestions really help when you are short of any ideas to make thingsbetter. Thanks again!

WLmum Thu 06-Feb-14 20:00:24

Afraid you can't have it all ways. I sometimes feel that mine could do with an earlier bed time (and me too) but then sometimes I wouldn't see them.
It's all about finding a compromise that everyone can live with!
Don't forget, they will get older and it will get easier!

Ktay Thu 06-Feb-14 20:06:37

Is there any option for the CM to give them their tea? That would ease the pressure when you get home and give you a bit more of an evening too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now