Talk

Advanced search

Newborns and sleeping arrangements.

(18 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:03:49

Just after some advice please smile

First baby is due in 7 weeks and we have bought a crib for him to sleep in. Can I ask if you used baby sleeping bags or did you use the feet-to-base approach and then just put blankets over the baby? We have got a new born sleeping bag (tog 2.5 as advised on the label) but the thought of a baby just being in this with no other covering just doesn't seem enough in my eyes?

Also, how close to your bed was your cot/crib/Moses basket? I know the reasonings behind the baby sharing a room but we have put the crib on the other side of the room to our bed. I have had a comment passed to me that baby should be as close to our bed as possible.....but I fear having baby snuffly noises and whimpers in my ear all night would stop me from sleeping. Is it an issue that he will be a few metres away??

ThursdayLast Tue 04-Feb-14 13:07:16

I think in the same room is fine, we had DS at the foot of our bed I in a Moses basket for four months.
We didn't use sleeping bags until about 3/4 months but we found he loved them when we did!
Until then we used blankets so easy to layer on and off. A swaddling blanket was essential for us to get him to sleep, but they don't suit every baby.
Hope that's a bit helpful smile

Fairylea Tue 04-Feb-14 13:09:59

Baby sleeping bags are amazing. Both mine have loved theirs (now aged 11 years and 19 months) and you never have to worry about them kicking covers off and being cold or getting a blanket over their heads!

Babies retain heat differently to older children and adults so a 2.5 tog is as much as they need in a 16 degree bedroom (average winter temperature). Don't add anything on top of this. It's quite dangerous as it can cause over heating. Just stick to the sleeping bag and dress as per the guidelines (gro bag have a great website with information on what to put babies in and the right temperature etc).

Babies usually wake every 2 hours at least in the early weeks so you'll probably want the crib next to your bed otherwise you'll be in and out like a yo yo!!

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 13:13:35

Close as possible so you aren't getting out of bed every 5 minutes! Snuffly noises will be the least of your sleep problems with a newborn grin

I have a bedside cot right up against our bed so I can just slide the baby over to feed/hold hands/pat him etc.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Feb-14 13:14:26

depending on the weight of your baby you may not be able to use the sleeping bag right away so may need a few blankets too. We had the crib along the bottom of the bed.

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:14:34

Congratulations on your baby smile

My son is 10 weeks now and for the first two weeks we used the feet to foot with blankets approach. However, he was always wriggling and kicking the blankets off which woke him up as he was cold.

So since then we've used a 2.5 tog sleeping bag and he wears a vest and sleepsuit. It's been brilliant - he sleeps so much better and goes back in his crib after a feed with no problem (I feed him in the sleeping bag so he stays cosy). He's always lovely and warm despite our room being 17/18ºC.

Bankholidaybaby Tue 04-Feb-14 13:15:24

My baby is 23 weeks old and is just moving from a basket into a cot. When he's 18 lbs, I'll use sleeping bags, but until then he has a sheet and one layer of blanket over him (room is 19-20 degrees c).

I found having his basket on a stand next to my bed essential as for a long while he only slept well if I was touching him/very close by. At times we co-slept as otherwise I would have been an exhausted wreck. At the moment he sleeps 10 hours straight at night in his basket.

I think layers of sheets and blankets are great as you figure out the temperature of the room and what suits your baby - mine gets warm very easily. Cellular blankets seem to be the best.

mumbaisapphirebluespruce Tue 04-Feb-14 13:17:09

We swaddled from day 1 either with a large muslin or one of those swaddle pod things. Worked well for us. We had a May baby, so the room was already quite warm. We didn't bother with a blanket. Once baby had outgrown the swaddle - I.e. Kept busting out of it, we moved onto the sleeping bags. They are great. We had lighter weight ones for the summer months and then use 2.5 tog for the autumn/winter. We have never bothered with blankets, as to be honest our DD loves to kick her legs up. I think we tried it once and she kicked it off within seconds. I could not be bothered with having to re-tuck her in every 5 minutes. Too much faff.

Re: positioning of the crib, we placed her at the foot of our bed, as it's the only logical place for her in our room. Moved her into own room at 6 months. We never bought a Moses basket, we got a travel cot/pack n play instead because we knew we would need one anyway for visiting people, so it was worth the money for us. She still uses it.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:20:10

I naively thought babies would only wake for feeds - I hadn't considered that sometimes he just might want a reassuring pat or hand hold. I definitely don't want to be jumping out of bed just for that....maybe I will bring the crib nearer to the bed grin

Another reason the crib is currently on the other side of the room is because that's where there is space for my Nursing Chair, I just figured it made sense for the crib to be next to it. May have to rethink things.... smile

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 13:24:53

If you're going to breastfeed, then sometimes they just want to be on the breast all night. Learning to breastfeed lying down in bed is a great skill!

Fairylea Tue 04-Feb-14 13:30:43

If you're breastfeeding you'll probably find the nursing chair a waste of time to be honest smile ... I breastfed my eldest dd for about 8 weeks and I just used to slide her into bed,feed her lying down and then slide her back into her bed again! However I ended up formula feeding both dc and I did find a chair useful in their rooms next to their cots to feed and then put them to bed afterwards (helps with a bedtime routine too).

I have to admit I'm smiling at the idea that babies feed and go back to sleep .... hmmm errmmm sometimes they do. Sometimes they feed, poop, whinge and want walking about, cry because they have a burp stuck and then want feeding again and about 2 hours later they might consider going back to sleep for 20 minutes and then waking up to do it all again.... oh happy days smile

(Lovely though of course!)

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:33:12

I won't be bed sharing/feeding in bed overnight - hence why I bought the nursing chair. I'm not judging anyone who does of course, not at all, but it's just not something I will be doing for various reasons.

Maybe crib could go on DH's side of the bed......he will be able to sleep through any baby snuffly/whimper noises smile We went to our first antenatal class last night which was about breast feeding and DH was quite alarmed to hear babies can wake every 2 hours during the night grin

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 13:37:37

Be very careful if you're feeding sitting up in a chair at night, especially in the early days - falling asleep on a chair or sofa with a baby is a big SIDS risk.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:48:53

I know lily - it has been a nightmare for me thinking about risks to newborns. But I have a health condition which makes it quite dangerous for me to possibly fall asleep in bed with the baby too sad So after discussions with my DH and my Consultants we agreed that getting out of bed to feed was safer and to take measures to ensure I do not fall asleep in the chair whilst feeding smile

hope123x Tue 04-Feb-14 13:50:08

Ds is now 12 weeks, at the beginning we used blankets but as he started wriggling more and waving his arms around he would wake himself up as the blankets would come off! Then moved to a sleeping bag which he loves! If it's cold I put a small blanket over aswell.

lilyaldrin Tue 04-Feb-14 13:50:12

Good excuse to get your DH up with you to bring you snacks and drinks and do the changing/settling then.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 04-Feb-14 13:51:38

That's exactly our plan lily grin
In it together!!! smile

Bankholidaybaby Tue 04-Feb-14 23:19:35

I used to download tv programmes to my phone and watch them with headphones in during night feeds to keep me awake. A sports bottle of water next to my chair was also very useful in keeping me alert and hydrated!

Yes, babies do often wake up needing some reassurance. I found a hand on the head and the other on the tummy would often do the trick, but sometimes I would need to pick him up, wind and cuddle him then slowly lower into a prewarmed basket (I would put one of those microwaveable soft toys on his mattress for a couple of minutes and then take it into bed with me once my baby was settled. Either that or you can sit on the baby's mattress as you feed?).

It's a big shock going from 24/7 comfort and constant food, being held and close to mummy, then suddenly being expected to cope alone in a crib! Some babies (mine is one) just need and love to be held all the time. Slings are brilliant during the day, and having your baby sleeping within arm's reach can make all the difference at night. I wish I had had one of those NCT bednests for the early weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now