Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

3 week old and my first baby - generally very happy but very tearful!

(12 Posts)
cookiemonster5678 Tue 04-Feb-14 12:26:53

Im just seeking reassurance that the way I'm feeling is normal.

I gave birth to my first baby 3 weeks ago, and absolutely adore him. I am a little overwhelmed at how much he has changed my life but i am enjoying every moment.

However, I keep getting very tearful over silly things.

A couple of people on the telephone have being rude to me.

My partner going back to work in a few days is making me cry every time i think about it.

Im upset about my mum going back to work at the other end of the country (she is only home every few months). I can tell she doesn't want to leave and I'm worried that baby wont know her well sad

Im crying thinking about all these things now!

Am i mental?!?!

MrsFlorrick Tue 04-Feb-14 12:33:28

No. Not at all!! grin Having a baby is very very emotional. Plus the lack of sleep doesn't help.

Your mum going to work away is a big thing, you'd be emotional about that even if you hadn't just had a lovely squishy baby.

However if you do feel down as well as emotional, please talk to your GP about it. Feeling down is very different and could signal post natal depression.

And congratulation on your baby grin

500internalerror Tue 04-Feb-14 12:33:30

It's only been 3 weeks, your hormones are still on the rampage! It's also very daunting to suddenly have a new person to look after; I was terrified when dh went back to work after our first. This might be playing on your mind more than you think.

It's highly likely that you'll settle into a routine & wonder why you were het up about things that stop seeming so important. But have you got a couple of close friends to use as a sounding board? It really helps, & it also keeps you in touch with the real world smile

Havinganose Tue 04-Feb-14 12:35:23

No! Not mental at all. You still have loads if hormones yet to evacuate!

Plus, becoming a mum makes everything in the world look different.

I found six weeks was a real turning point. Give yourself a break.

Bumpsadaisie Tue 04-Feb-14 12:36:01

Bless you. Totally normal. I spent the first month or so of my eldests life alternating between a kind of manic superwoman euphoria and sobbing in a heap grin

It'll settle down.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 04-Feb-14 12:37:47

Congratulations thanks smile

Sorry I don't want to belittle how you feel, but I think most mums go through this - it's hormones + lack of sleep, it's hard, but it'll pass. But if you still feel not yourself or are worried do let family/your HV know.

I cried when DS was a couple days old because the tune DS Fisher Price toy played was soooo beautiful... hmm grin

cookiemonster5678 Tue 04-Feb-14 12:43:04

Thanks for replies, I'm not massively concerned because the things upsetting me aren't directly to do with my baby.
I think a routine will be a big help, and getting into a new kind of normal life smile

Its not helping that my house doesn't feel normal because i haven't been able to clean it properly since before i gave birth, we also need to get some shopping in but just cant find time!

Maybe i need to accept its going to take time, and give myself a break! Just wish i would stop getting so bloody tearful, I'm never mard like this ha ha!

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Tue 04-Feb-14 12:50:48

Seriously do not worry about the housework!

Antibac wipes and steam cleaner are quick for things like kitchen benches and bathroom sink/toilet. Rope in visitors to help, quick hoover, wash up, wipe round, fold laundry. Seriously people love to feel needed! Oh also my house still isn't as clean pre-children and I have a 5 year old grin

You're looking after DS who's full on, you need to rest and look after him and YOU. cake

NickyEds Tue 04-Feb-14 13:54:04

I think I cried everyday for the first month- DS is 6 weeks now and it's much better.It doesn't sound like little things - your Mum being far away and OH going back to work are definately worthy of a few tears!
I actually found things a bit easier when my OH went back to work- despite dreading it - It meant I could organise things the way I wanted them and just generally get on with stuff at my own pace!!
Don't worry about the crying, if you're mood's generally ok I'm sure it will pass.

NickyEds Tue 04-Feb-14 13:58:16

Oh and get on line shopping sorted out - I just couldn't imagine doing a big shop at the moment! and I know what you mean about the house-I should be ashamed at the state of mine at the moment (!!) but something's got to give and it's better that than anything more important!

Melonbreath Tue 04-Feb-14 14:28:38

Normal!
I cried watching Charlie and the chocolate factory at the weekend. The suspense as Charlie opened the chocolate bar and found a ticket bursts into hysterical weeping

blondebaby111 Tue 04-Feb-14 14:42:58

I just wrote a post this morning about exactly the sane thing. It's so overwhelming. I get moments of crying when I have no wgen I have no idea why crying. Other times I'm just consumed by general happiness and can't quite believe this lovely child is all ours.

I think at first we have lots of visitors and generally on a high about having a baby then a few weeks later the realisation hits that this little person is reliant on us 24/7 and there's nothing we can do about it.

Sounds like it's perfectly normal and I'm I'm exactly the sane boat as you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now