Talk

Advanced search

10mo constipated ( possibly TMI)

(12 Posts)
Lollypop1983 Mon 03-Feb-14 09:35:59

My LO is 10mo and is constipated. I'm struggling with how to help him.

I've increased his water intake, and added prunes to his diet. I've also started to give him weetabix in the morning. It started about 10 days ago. His poos were really hard, and irregular. I spoke to the doc last Monday, who said to give it a day or two, then she would prescribe something. I phoned on Thursday and started LO on lactulose on Friday. Since then, he's had one massive poo, but still really hard, crying with pain.

I don't know how long to give it before I go back to the doc. Anyone else's LO been through this? How long did it take before poos started to soften? Sorry if tmi

Tia

Eletheomel Mon 03-Feb-14 11:22:52

Have you given him any fruit juice diluted in water or brown sugar diluted in water? These are good to get things moving. My 7 month old was constipated over a weekend (no idea how, his diet is pretty fruit heavy) it was horrible :-(

In the end I think I went too much the otehr way, we gave him segments of naval oranges to gum on (they're lovely just now :-) and he ended up with squirty green pooh for a week! (in hindsight not sure if it was related to his teething or some kind of tummy bug - but he wasn't sick).

If it was me, I'd be tempted to go back and see what they suggest (he's still a baby, perfectly reasonable to take him back to the docs).

Alternatively, if you've not tried the dilute fruit juice or brown sugar in cooled boiled water, you could try that for a day and then call?

lilyaldrin Mon 03-Feb-14 11:27:02

I'd cut out the weetabix, cut out bananas too and eggs. Lots of fruit and fruit juice.

NannyPlumForPrimeMinister Mon 03-Feb-14 11:32:42

We had horrendous problems like this, tried all the usual and lactulose- nothing helped and ended up with an anal fissure.

We got movicol paediatric sachets and haven't looked back- 1 daily until she is around 5 years old. Best thing ever. She has been on it for about 14 months now and not an issue since. We started at around 10-11 months old.

Lollypop1983 Mon 03-Feb-14 14:12:24

Thanks everyone.

I've tried fruit juice, but will try sugar water too. How much sugar should be diluted? Any ideas?

Have added extra prunes as well as fruit juice today. LO is still straining to go, but hopefully his poo will start to get softer. Think I will give it one more day, then call doc.

Eletheomel Mon 03-Feb-14 15:25:58

You need to use brown sugar (demerara) and the water has to be warm enough to fully dissolve the sugar (1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar to about 30 mls of water) Good luck, but definitely go back to the docs - I think GPs are always happy to see babies, so don't worry about being a pest.

nicename Mon 03-Feb-14 15:28:55

Loads of water. My sister used to boil up prunes and give her daughter the cooled juice when she was little.

Bananas are bad for constipation. Apples and pears with the skin are good. Dried fruit is good too.

Lollypop1983 Mon 03-Feb-14 15:59:30

I have made appt with doc, but it's not til Monday hmm if it's not better by weds, will get an emergency appt.

Seems to be some movement this afternoon. 1st poo, LO was in so much pain, half hour later, I didn't notice he had pooed until the smell hit me. I'll keep going with prunes, water and extra fruit.

Spoke to HV who said to give it another day or 2. Will wait & see.

I've never been so anxious over someone else's poo! Can't believe I am desperate for a poonami!

MummyPig24 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:10:30

Peaches, pears, prunes, figs, apricots all good to get things going. Could be puréed and stirred into porridge or yogurt.

Diluted fresh orange juice usually works well.

KateMoose Mon 03-Feb-14 20:45:54

Is he on puréed food? That gave my DD constipation. I switched to baby led weaning and she was fine from then. Also, you could try cycling his legs in the air with him on his back then alternating tummy stroking in a circle.

TheGreatHunt Mon 03-Feb-14 20:53:26

Be really careful with weaning. My two (who had dairy intolerances incidentally) had sensitive digestive systems - as babies if they had too much and not enough liquid, they got bunged up.

Lollypop1983 Wed 05-Feb-14 17:23:11

Thanks for all advice!

My LO was finally able to poo today without crying! I never thought I would be so happy to see a pooey nappy!

I think it was all those prunes I was hiding in his food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now