Talk

Advanced search

Filling the day with a little baby. How?

(14 Posts)
Expectans Sun 02-Feb-14 19:26:00

DS is 5 weeks. We go out most mornings, to groups or for a quick walk. We also nap a fair amount. But, the days are long.

What do/did you do with your young baby to fill the day? All ideas welcome.

Thumbcat Sun 02-Feb-14 19:32:27

The days are so long with a young baby! I had to go out in the morning and afternoon to keep my sanity. I stopped doing a big weekly shop and would walk up to the supermarket most days to get stuff for dinner. I know it's not exciting, but in those early days it at least gave a sense of purpose to my wanderings with the pram.

notthegruffalo Sun 02-Feb-14 19:35:13

Go for walks, meet people for lunch/ coffee if you can (eg do you know anyone who works near you?). My local childrens centre had a new mums club for very young babies which was a good way to meet people. At that age I tried a new 'adventure' every day - eg a different walk, going on the bus, going on the tube, going to a shop I hadn't been to before .... Also, I had milestones at home. Eg at 4 I had a cup of tea and a biscuit and watched something crap on tv for half an hr, as a kind of 'congratulations' for getting through the day so far.

Bumpandkind Sun 02-Feb-14 19:49:20

I really feel for you. Ds was a summer baby so I would walk for miles in the lovely 2013 sunshine. I would make the most of offers of company in those first few weeks. Just having another person to talk with passes the time nicely.

When you settle into a routine (we didn't for the first 8 weeks) the time is easier as you know what's coming next.

Read, watch T.V, take a new picture and record something your baby did each day, even if it was just a cute burp.

TheGreatHunt Sun 02-Feb-14 19:55:45

Where are you? Can you meet DH for lunches etc etc? They are so portable at that age!

Miggs28 Sun 02-Feb-14 19:57:04

I remember how long the early days with my DS were, they felt never ending some days - I do feel for you.

DS was a summer baby (2013) so I got outside as much as I could we did lots of walks and tried to do something new every few days. I went to a mum and baby group which was lovely and would go for a drive to local beauty spots and then take a walk, I still do this now!

Again as previous posts have said maybe try meeting friends who work near by for a coffee/lunch.

Also if you haven't already get Netflix! I spent many a naptime watching part of a film or tv programme.

InvaderZim Sun 02-Feb-14 19:58:19

Try to find a movie theatre that does a baby session. When my DD was a baby only one cinema in my town did this and now three do!

mustardtomango Sun 02-Feb-14 20:02:24

Tbh, those early days were filled with a lot of telly, chats on the phone and by text with friends, the odd week time visit and taking things slow. Movies, food and sleeping together in the couch.

Know it's not for everyone, but it helped me enjoy that stage rather than pushing through it

CrispyCrochet Sun 02-Feb-14 20:05:03

Hi Expectans. I've got a nearly 8 week old baby - I find the days go so quick!! When I was at work I would clock watch and lunch seemed like an age away.

We don't get out of bed early - in fact, even when DS wakes up I try and keep him happy so I can at least close my eyes for a few more minutes. I usually find that by the time I've had breakfast, shower & dressed it is almost lunch time! But like other posters I try and get out for walks or try new adventures like getting buses or taxis places. Even if it is just to wander around the shopping centre - it gets me out of the house and I can window shop all day. When DS is happy laying on his baby gym I often waste some time on mumsnet. smile

Mrswellyboot Sun 02-Feb-14 20:13:38

18 week old here. He doesn't nap much so I am kept busy but we go for a walk everyday, post a letter, go for a hot chocolate in town about two or three times a week and on a Friday we got to a pub for lunch smile I would never normally but I read the paper, baby likes the music and people watching.

I make sure dh and I do something with the baby on a Sunday ( nothing fancy.. country drive, trip to ikea etc)

Mother and baby group, weight watchers, visit both sets of grandparents.

Then I have loads of jobs at home. I am a teacher and I am making resources online to file away. I have decluttered every inch of the house using Pinterest tips! Labelled, bought storage etc etc grin

I try a new recipe every week (probably not helping weight watcher attempts!!! )

waterrat Sun 02-Feb-14 20:21:41

Don't worry it does get better - once they are older and interacting with the world it's more interesting being out and about with them. Also I found once they eat normal food you have a day that has more of a routine ..

All ican advise is try to relax and think of what you would like to do - see friends, make new friends, watch films or read .. Cook while listening to radio programmes you like ..,

Nevercan Sun 02-Feb-14 20:37:48

Join in any baby and toddler groups in the area. Check out your local village hall, church and childrens centers to get details. You could join a baby massage group or your local NCT group to make friends with similar age babies grin

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 03-Feb-14 08:02:35

I find with DC2 that the days go much more quickly than with DC1 when they seemed to drag so much! Definitely try to get out as much as possible - meet people for a drink or lunch, check out baby groups. Once you're feeling up to it, maybe try a buggy fit type class. Taking the baby swimming is a lovely thing to do and usually also has the bonus of guaranteeing a decent nap afterwards too.

KatyN Tue 04-Feb-14 13:08:54

The only thing I would add, is that I read quite a lot when my son was little. I didn't have huge reserves of energy for massive walks and I wanted to be in when he napped so I could too!! but I would read my book and so that I didn't worry about ignoring him, I would read it to him.

I got particularly good at my hercule piorot voice!

k

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now