Talk

Advanced search

New Meningitis B vaccine

(5 Posts)
London1975 Tue 14-Jan-14 10:01:51

I am thinking of getting my 2 daughters vaccinated privately with the new vaccine. Has anyone had their children immunised? If so were there any side effects? I know the vaccine is licensed but because it's so new I am a little hesitant . TIA x

jimeyrose Tue 14-Jan-14 19:49:01

Hi, I haven't had my children immunised yet but am planning too. I have the same worries as you though. I have researched it a lot and it seems that the majority of the side effects were just general fever and soreness around the injection site. I was thinking of ringing one of the meningitis charities to ask their opinion.
Sorry that I'm not much help but I know the NHS didn't bring it in due to cost effectiveness rather than any concerns about safety.

TweenageAngst Tue 14-Jan-14 19:59:08

Weirdly I attended a lecture today discussing meningitis. The vaccine is in use in Europe and the body that advises the government here are currently doing detailed cost benefit analysis on this vaccine after a consultation with stakeholders. Due to be reported sometime in march. Having looked at the graphs of incidence of the various types of meningitis before and after the hib, a and c vaccines were introduced I will certainly be keen to get my older kids vaccinated

asihaja Fri 17-Jan-14 19:26:30

I have just vaccinated my son (in London, it costed £125 on a walk-in basis in St John Wood Elisabeth hospital - i have checked at other clinics and the prices were similar if not higher). He seems absolutely fine, no fever and i hope it stays like it. It is a relief knowing his chances of getting Meningitis are very slim now.

oohdaddypig Thu 06-Mar-14 22:13:59

Hi - thanks so much for posting this OP. I hadn't heard about this vaccine.

I'm not in general a vaccinate against all known risks person but I can't believe the NHS has so far denied this to children in this country.

I'm going to research further but based what I have read so far, will definitely vaccinate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now