Talk

Advanced search

Do you find your kids annoying?

(93 Posts)
BertieBowtiesAreCool Sun 15-Dec-13 19:40:18

Just that, really. I am feeling guilty and crap because I am finding DS very annoying at the moment. I have this idea that I'm supposed to find him adorable and/or interesting at all times and love his company and sometimes I just don't sad I quite often end up snapping at him or saying something that comes out as far more critical than I meant it and I'm worried that this is having an effect on him. I'd love to be able to channel it more productively - other people's kids don't seem as annoying as mine is so it must be ME doing something wrong!

Bakerof3pudsxx Sun 15-Dec-13 19:41:25

I think everyone feels annoyed by dc at some time or another

BellaVida Sun 15-Dec-13 19:43:22

Sometimes they drive me crazy, sometimes they surprise me, sometimes I am overwhelmed with love and pride. I think (hope) that it's normal!

VerySmallSqueak Sun 15-Dec-13 19:44:00

Doesn't everyone?!!

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Sun 15-Dec-13 19:44:11

Other people's children aren't with you all the time smile

I have 4 & used to find all of them (separately/together) annoying some of the time. IME when you're feeling least able to cope they pick up on it & behave differently which gets under your skin. Don't blame yourself

thanks

BikeRunSki Sun 15-Dec-13 19:44:53

Yes

I could have written the OP

TheOneWithTheNicestSmile Sun 15-Dec-13 19:45:24

When I say "used to" - I mean they are grown up now!

(Still sometimes annoying, but differently)

RubyLovesShopping Sun 15-Dec-13 19:47:42

Yes, of course. But it's not all if them and not all if the time.

LegoCaltrops Sun 15-Dec-13 19:47:56

Yes. Because she is 19m therefore too young for any meaningful discipline. Fast, tall, strong, heavy & inquisitive though - and sleeps only 9-10 hours at night, and she won't nap - ever. I need sleep...

NoComet Sun 15-Dec-13 19:49:11

Yes, DD2 is doing handstands indoors again.

This shakes the floor and breaks my kitchen light bulbs.

This clearly is annoying.

DD1 uses 40 miles of petrol most Sundays, this is also annoying

poorbuthappy Sun 15-Dec-13 19:49:14

Hell yes.
Twin 5 year old girls and 9 year old girl as annoying as billy - yo.

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Sun 15-Dec-13 19:50:03

Yes. I also find other kids annoying.

My mum finds me annoying grin

BertieBowtiesAreCool Sun 15-Dec-13 19:50:20

But what happened to the thing about "Other people's children are annoying but your own are fine"?? grin Just another platitude doled out by hopeful parents-to-be?

God, thank you. I thought I was a terrible person! DS is 5 and to be fair he is less annoying than when he was 4. Except now he seems to do it on purpose angry

Ifcatshadthumbs Sun 15-Dec-13 19:50:53

yup v annoying

blackandwhiteandredallover Sun 15-Dec-13 19:50:58

Oh god yes. Isn't that the point?

ThreeBeeOneGee Sun 15-Dec-13 19:51:43

Individually, they are lovely.

En masse, they wind each other up, talk over each other and constantly ask inane questions. If they would just shut up for more than two seconds and let me speak, they might find that their questions were answered within the information I've been trying to communicate for the past ten minutes. angry

FastWindow Sun 15-Dec-13 19:53:28

Oh yes. Mostly when ds decides to be spectacularly loud JUST as I've got baby dd off for a nap.

But then he does something adorable and I melt.

FastWindow Sun 15-Dec-13 19:58:23

3B1G arghh... The Questions!!!

'mummy, what is the time is?' (sic)

Ten past three, love.

'why?'

Eh?

Or,

'mummy, who is that on that bag? '

It's father Christmas.

' why? '

biscuit

gamerchick Sun 15-Dec-13 20:04:36

Of course.. its only human.

However it balances out. I broke my arm coming off my bike this morning and my son cheerfully took on chores he hates and fixed my bike straight away.. The house has been tidied so I don't have to do it tomorrow. Even my youngest who is SN stroked my head and accepted that I couldn't fasten my coat (all zips have to be done up or he has a shitfit)

It's times like that grin

Twattergy Sun 15-Dec-13 20:46:45

Incredibly annoying on occasion, fortunately not all the time. I find it helps to voice it to someone else, 'oh God ds is being so annoying this afternoon'to dh, to my mum or a friend, normally they sympathise and makes me feel less bad.

RandomMess Sun 15-Dec-13 20:49:03

All children are annoying at times, the difference between your own and other peoples is that you really love your own.

Doesn't stop them being irritating though!

LifeOfPee Sun 15-Dec-13 20:52:46

Frequently. I know the older one (11) finds me frequently annoying too, the younger one (8 months) thinks I'm the bees knees though he gets on my nerves occasionally too but not as much as the big one

stickysausages Sun 15-Dec-13 20:56:38

It's the whining that gets me.... sad

I'm quite sensitive to noise anyway, but when he starts up... I honestly feel like my head's going to burst.

Whatnamenext Sun 15-Dec-13 21:00:05

Oh god infinitely annoying.

It's the silliness, screeching and screams of hysteria intermingled with bickering that drive me insane!

NoComet Sun 15-Dec-13 21:04:04

DD2 (12) says I'm annoying, I make here do something productive.

Ie stop staring at a screen. Said while staring at my kindle fire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now