Talk

Advanced search

BFing PFB and thinking of #2

(21 Posts)
broodylicious Wed 04-Dec-13 22:11:22

Hey all. So we have our pfb who is fabulous and everything we hoped for. She's 20 months old and is still breastfeeding (just twice a day, a little in the morn and just before bed).

We are thinking of ttc baby broody #2 and ideally I'd like to finish bfing pfb so there's no jealousy or having to share my boobies between them both. However, as a mum of a 20 month old, I know all the best laid plans and all that.... wink She's quite a headstrong madam and we are a bit "hippy like" as my mother says with our parenting methods (no CIO or cc, v baby led etc) so we want to approach this right.

Just wondering if a) there's anyone out there who bf both/multiple babies and how it goes b) if you stopped shortly before a new baby came along, how did pfb take it, and c) any advice?!

ZebraZeebra Wed 04-Dec-13 22:16:26

No experience - just watching and listening intently because we have PFB DS (13 months) and we're TTCing DC2! Like you, a bit hippy I guess. Still BFing and actually hoping to breastfeed him up to two years. But I have read that some children can find the taste goes funny when you get pregnant again. I think also the Kelly Mom site has some good info about it! Apparently you still produce colostrum for the next child, and your milk "comes in" again and the older child is handy for engorgement grin

Tailtwister Thu 05-Dec-13 11:01:33

DS2 was born when DS1 was 2y and 3.5 months. The way we approached it was just to go with the flow and see what happened. I fully expected my milk supply to reduce significantly during pregnancy and for DS1 to stop on his own. This didn't happen and he kept bf as usual throughout. When DS2 was born he just accepted that he would share the milk and seemed pleased with the abundant supply which accompanied the arrival of his little brother! It didn't cause any rivalry, in fact it helped. Nothing much changed for him except there was more to go round!

We just carried on as normal. We co-slept, him on one side, DS2 on the other. I had a go at tandem feeding but found it really weird. It made me feel a bit 'touched out' (for want of a better phrase), but DS1 fed fast and efficiently anyway so it didn't really take up much more time. It carved out a bit of special time for the two of us to re-connect in the crazy newborn days.

I would just go with the flow and see what suits you both. There are various books which are interesting to read Adventures in Tandem Feeding is one and of course the Kelly Mom website too a Zebra has mentioned.

DS1 eventually stopped bf at 3.4y and DS2 is still going at 3.5y but is showing signs of stopping. I imagine he may well be done by the end of the year. Sad in a way, but I'm pleased about how it worked out.

Mamabear12 Thu 05-Dec-13 11:18:28

I breastfeed my first until I was 2 months pregnant w number two. First was 13 months when I decided to stop. I returned to work was being pregnant as well, thought best to stop breastfeeding. She was also bottle fed on occasion, so it was quite easy. Just gave her bottle right away in morning instead of breast. After a while we did that at night. No tears shed. And now at almost 22 months, she doesn't remember breastfeeding, so is fine I breastfeed baby in front of her. I cudle her at same time and she gets her milk.

ZuleikaD Thu 05-Dec-13 15:53:14

You may get lots of replies if you post in Breast and Bottle feeding as there are lots of tandem feeders there.

Cies Thu 05-Dec-13 15:56:42

I was up for the idea of tandeming, but couldn't get pg while bf, so eventually weaned ds at 2.3. fell pg that same month grin

clairikins Thu 05-Dec-13 17:06:43

Just found out I am expecting number 2 while still BFing my first. There will be 18 months between them and have no intention of stopping feeding my first. I'm a hippy mum as well.

As long has you are both happy and healthy then there is no reason to stop breastfeeding (some medical problems it is inadvisable).

BabyLabyrinth Fri 06-Dec-13 12:54:36

I'm due in Feb with DC2 and am still BF DD (19mo). No intention of stopping! I thought DD would stop of her own accord when I ran out of milk at 3 months pregnant, but she just suckled quietly twice a day for five minutes and enjoyed her cuddle. I've now started producing colostrum, which she says is yummy! Her two feeds a day have become a bit longer as such. I'm hoping it will help her adjust to the new baby, as well as being helpful with engorgement, as Zebra says. Also irrationally scared DC2 is going to be premature, so DD is going to be helping me maintain supply if that happens.

NiceGlassOfSherryAndASitDown Fri 06-Dec-13 14:19:32

got pregnant with DD when DS was 11.5 months and had no intention of stopping! I'm still sort of tandem feeding, DD is now 13 months and DS 2.10 and still has an occasional feed about every 7-10 days. the only part I struggled with was nursing aversion through my pregnancy and when baby was small but I persevered and it went eventually! if anything I'd say it strengthened the bond between my DC, so lovely to feed both every now and then as they hold hands grin best of luck ttc, I should imagine you can't go wrong if you just go with the flow wink

WoTmania Fri 06-Dec-13 15:24:38

I tandem nursed my younger two. I never found there were any jealousy issues. In fact, I found that DS2 seemed to find it reassuring he could still have milk rather than feeling pushed out with me sitting feeding the baby a lot.
'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' by Hilary Flowers is well worth a read as is 'mothering your Nursing Toddler'. I would also recommend finding a local LLL group if you can as you will probably find at least one mum there who has been in a similar situation.

broodylicious Sun 08-Dec-13 14:28:57

Thanks all, this is a real comfort to me to know there are other people out there who are on my wavelength - most actual people I know think im crazy for still bfing now angry xxx

NorthEasterlyGale Sun 08-Dec-13 17:09:53

My DS1 is 18 months now and DS2 is due in February. DS1 has almost weaned himself by choice over the last couple of months; I still offer before naps and beds and he might have the odd nurse but it's rare now (maybe once a week or so).

Never really thought about it being a problem when trying for #2 to be honest; just assumed we'd work it out and everyone would get along. Plenty of milk for all grin

Mind you, was quite painful feeding during one stage of pregnancy, but we survived!

princesscupcakemummyb Sun 08-Dec-13 17:22:21

hello op i have a 2 year old and 5 week old the 2 year old still breastfeeds twice a day as shes refusing to stop milky time yet so currently feeding them both my 2 year old DD understands baby needs milk and will let him feed no issues with it but i admit i would have preffered to be just feeding one only down fall is the after pains and breastfeeding 2 of them

broodylicious Sun 19-Jan-14 20:33:07

Hi all - update for you - I'm now pregnant with dc2!! Apparently happened on our first cycle of ttc this time around (eight months last time) so bit quick. Going to see what happens with bfing dd in the next few months and just take it as it comes.

Bazoo23 Sun 19-Jan-14 20:40:16

congratulations!! and good luck x

ZebraZeebra Mon 20-Jan-14 20:58:13

Wow congratulations broodylicious!!

broodylicious Tue 21-Jan-14 07:47:18

Thank you smile fx it'll be you soon zebra xx

ZebraZeebra Tue 21-Jan-14 09:33:33

Thank you Broody, that's very kind! We're just beginning TTCing but I'm not sure I'm ovulating because of the BFing. Or maybe Ive just started because DS has recently weaned himself off night feeds (in the last four weeks or so).

Let us know how it goes with the pregnancy and BFing your toddler grin

broodylicious Fri 24-Jan-14 18:06:51

That's what I assumed actually, because I'm still bfing dd, but I had an ovulation strip left from last time so used it when I thought I could be ovulating (going on previous cycles) and lo and behold it hadn't changed! amazing things these bodies!!

ZebraZeebra Fri 24-Jan-14 20:42:09

I definitely haven't been, and my periods started up again when he was 3 months old. I've been observing my cycle for a few months and used some cheap OPK sticks with no dice. Since the night weaning has happened, I'm hoping ovulation will kick start up again. Cycle day 11 tomorrow so might start testing over the next few days to see if it's like you, and around the same time!

broodylicious Sun 02-Mar-14 17:01:44

Another update - sadly miscarried at 12 weeks hmmhmmhmmhmmhmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now