Talk

Advanced search

Adult children living overseas

(8 Posts)
JeanWalthamstow Sat 05-Oct-13 17:50:44

My newly married daughter [only child] has been living in Sydney Australia for two years and is unlikely to come to live in England.
I find this quite upsetting and would like to hear from parent in a similar position. If this is you or you know anyone in that situation please reply here or send me a personal message.

froken Sun 06-Oct-13 08:39:56

Poor you sad

I am an adult child living abroad, my mum is proud of me ( and my brother, he also lives abroad) but she really misses us.

I only understand how hard it must be for my mum now that I have my own baby, I can't imagine how hard it would be for him to move a long way from me.

Have you been to visit your dd? Do you have plans to see her soon? Why does she live there?

I lived in Australia for a year and it really is a fabulous country.

brew

TEErickOrTEEreat Sun 06-Oct-13 09:00:47

I live in a different country from my mom.

Do you Skype a lot? Because that's what we do.

Dressingdown1 Sun 06-Oct-13 09:12:27

My son has lived in China for the last 8 years. he is married to a Chinese woman, my very sweet dil, and has 2 lovely dc. I see him once or twice a year, normally I have to visit China because travelling with 2 small dc is difficult for him.

I talk to him several times a week and feel very close to him; closer in some ways than I do to my dd who lives an hour and a half away from us.

AntsMarching Sun 06-Oct-13 09:21:42

I'm an adult child living abroad.

My parents were very upset when I announced I was moving but understand that it's what will make me happiest (moved to be with DH). I have two small dds. We FaceTime weekly and I send them loads do pictures. FaceTime is great as it's free and they get to see and talk to the girls. It helps them feel closer. It helps my girls feel closer too. My in laws rarely FaceTime with us (despite giving them an iPhone for this purpose) and my girls are more distant with them even though they see them more often in the flesh.

Also, I go back to visit once a year, which is a huge undertaking with a 3yo and 1yo on a 9+ hour flight. My parents come about once every two years.

I'm sorry it upsets you, but I'm sure it's hard on your daughter too. At the end of the day, I'm sure you want her to be where she's happiest and there are lots of little ways to keep in touch so that the distance doesn't seem so much. I actually talk to my parents more now that I'm far away then I did when I lived in the same country.

mumtosp Sun 06-Oct-13 09:24:32

I'm an adult child living away from my parents... I live in England and my parents live in India... I know it's sometimes very hard for my parents and also me..
I go to India at least once a year... may reduce now that I have a small DS smile
My parents also come over every other year...

We use Skype once a week and I call them twice a day !! A lot of people think it's extreme, but I'm very close to my mum... if I was living at home I would tell my mum about my day so I don't see why I cannot do the same just because I live in a different country smile

It does get easier...

Selks Sun 06-Oct-13 09:29:50

I'm a parent in this position too. My son (26) lives in Brunei, which is a tiny country next to Malaysia. He's been there two years and I do miss him, I feel like I've missed two of his adult years and he's a different person now. I've seen him twice in two years, him and his wife will be here for Christmas - can't wait.
I am happy for him as he has a great life, but I do miss him.

sonjapatrice Mon 16-Jan-17 20:00:31

Both my grown up children live abroad, one in Australia and one in U.S after meeting partners at University from those countries. It getting harder now the grandchildren are growing up. It hard at Christmas time when we can't meet up with them, as friend and family have they own family. I wonder if there are groups that meet up in local areas maybe once a month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now