Talk

Advanced search

I know this is pathetic

(10 Posts)
bigkidsdidit Thu 25-Jul-13 15:25:17

But tomorrow I have both my children on my own all day for the first time and I am terrified blush. They are 2.5 and 1 month and with paternity leave and my mum visiting I've avoided it so far.

And DS1's CM is on hols for a week so it's just us 3 all next week too (DH very long hours).

I cannot work out logistics, how go get us all out (I don't drive), baby in sling and DS1 in buggy or baby in pram and DS walking. I fear constant tears and shouty mum. Aargh!

Anyone any tips that will make it all blissfully easy for me??

NatashaBee Thu 25-Jul-13 15:34:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigkidsdidit Thu 25-Jul-13 15:36:23

I have a little life rucksack, that's a good idea.

I know I should relax a bit but dealing with lots of crying really stresses me out. I am a serious perfectionist! I expect this will be beaten out of me this week

Hassled Thu 25-Jul-13 15:37:54

A wrist strap sounds good - will at least relieve the worry of DS1 trying to do a runner, if he'd rather walk. I went with the sling/buggy combination for as long as I possibly could just - found it easier.

It's one of those things that sounds more terrifying than it is - it will just become normal. Lower your expectations about everything else - the house will become a tip, and that's fine. Just getting to the end of each day with everyone still alive is enough of an achievement at this stage!

PeterParkerSays Thu 25-Jul-13 15:53:48

Get thee some stickers, lady, your 2.5 year old will respond to them, and chocolate buttons, like you wouldn't believe.

Want the 2.5 DC to sit still whilst you stick baby in sling, there's a sticker in it etc. It will get easier but no harm in a little out and out bribery to start with.

Just tell DH that you'd like a hug every night, please, and housework, if necessary, can be left until next Saturday.

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 25-Jul-13 16:01:53

Not pathetic at all, come Monday I'm in the same position myself!

Got a 2.6 year old and a 8 week old and have been very fortunate DP has been able to take this long off but come Monday he's going back to work starting 6 straight days for 14 hours a day and a half day on Sundays...I'm scared!

We live in a flat too so going out on my own provides even more logistical challenges (getting up/down stairs with pram/baby/toddler/bags on my own)

I'll hold your hand if you hold mine?!

oscarwilde Thu 25-Jul-13 16:12:03

I feel your pain. It was a shock to have two to get sorted.

Assuming it is hot and sunny where you are, baby in pram with DC1 on foot. Otherwise you will fret about the baby getting too hot or burned

Sling in bag ready to break out if DC 1 flags and needs to jump in the buggy, or if you want to be able to get somewhere quickly.
Definitely bring the rucksack, think about buying a buggyboard. At 2.5 your DC1 should love it.

Make yourself a list of stuff to take [remember how long it took you to get ready to go out for the first time with DC1? - it's like that but worse]
Don't forget:
Sling
Rucksack
Snacks and water for DC1
Nappy/change of clothes/pants for DC1
Nappy/change of clothes for DC2
Change of top and breastpads for you
Wipes
Water and snack for you
Milk for DC2 if not bfing. Two feeds more than you plan
Sunglasses, sunhats and sunlotion for all.
Book or other activity for DC1 to do while you feed DC2. New colours and paper is a godsend in the bottom of the pram.
Money/bus pass
Mobile phone
A decision on what to have for dinner so you can pick up the ready meal while out and about.
Wheelie suitcase to fit it all in. grin

Get out meal for DC1 (if frozen) before leaving house
Get up earlier than you ever thought possible - it will take about 3 hrs to be ready to leave the house. A little less if you sort most of this tonight.
Don't aim to go too far if DC1 is not used to walking. Or plan to go and come back by public transport.

bigkidsdidit Thu 25-Jul-13 16:25:36

Oh thank you all smile smile

My 2.5yo is the only one in the world who doesn't like stickers but does love mickey so I let him watch 10 ,ins on YouTube on my phone if he's good blush

He can walk miles but then SUDDENLY is shattered and fall asleep, hence me wanting to take the buggy. As I don't drive I still rely on it.

I was hoping for sun so we could play in the sandpit / paddling pool all day but here (Edinburgh) it's bloody raining today!

Will plan a trip to the park tomorrow, half a mile walk each way and no bus to manage. Monday might try toddler group.

Tea and cake - you're on smile

bigkidsdidit Thu 25-Jul-13 16:26:52

THANK YOU for that Oscar!

ouryve Thu 25-Jul-13 16:30:16

I have the same age gap and found sling and buggy by far the easiest.

I got through nursing DS2 by having a stack of new to him toys kept out of the way, which only came out and feeding time, or any other time I'd not be able to give him my full attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now