Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Has anyone used a sticker chart for sleep?

(4 Posts)
abigboydidit Thu 25-Jul-13 08:25:29

And if so, did it work and is 2 too young? DS is 26 months and was a great sleeper until I fell pregnant with DD. Since then, the obvious upheaval has disrupted things and we are happy to support him through it. He was waking in the night and wanting to sleep with us as he could see DD in the Moses basket next to us. That was fine, as DH would take him to the spare room and they would sleep together there. However more recently he has been waking 4-5am and wanting to start the day then.

He goes to bed at 7.30pm/8ish and is good at settling himself. He has a nap of 1 hour at nursery (they wake him) and the days he is with me he will nap between 1-3 hours. I have tried all variations to see if they impact on his sleep but they don't!

I wouldn't mind but he does seem tired during the mornings until his afternoon so I think it is now about he attention he is getting from DH and thought we could try a reward chart of some sort to coincide with DD moving into her nursery? Or is 26 months too young? All advice or experience welcomed. Thanks.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 25-Jul-13 10:29:55

What time of day does DS nap at nursery?

When does he nap at home? Naps are still pretty crucial before 3 years but your DS will drop them altogether eventually. Mine used to snooze after lunch 1:30pm/2 pm but I woke them up after 2 hours maximum, 90 minutes was the average. Alternatively a nap around 11:45 am after an active morning was not uncommon but that was always limited to an hour.

If we took the car somewhere they'd have 40 winks on the way home regardless how much they'd slept earlier.

Stickers are worth a go but I found the answer was the blackout approach. We invested in heavily lined curtains or a blind with additional drapes for summer months when the dawn woke them up.

PS My friends used to swear by something called a Gro Clock.

abigboydidit Thu 25-Jul-13 10:45:26

Thanks for the reply. His nap is after lunch or out and about if we're in the car. We tried a gro clock and it has improved things - I jut thought a sticker chart might help reinforce the idea smile Oddly we have blackout blinds but have found that leaving a night light on works as he is more likely to self settle with it on just not after 4am shock

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 25-Jul-13 16:50:44

Sounds like you've tried everything but sticker charts - whoever thought of them deserves a medal. If you've tried other things give that a go. smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now