Talk

Advanced search

Cot advice, please.

(5 Posts)
iamfizzy Sat 20-Jul-13 08:47:49

Hi all. Our little chubby chops is all ready to fall through the bottom of outgrow her moses basket and go into a cot. So two questions, if you can help, please.

1. Any tips on mattresses? Seems a minefield out there. Is there really any point in buying an expensive one, or should I be investing in a waterproof covered version. Really don't have a clue!

2. We have been kindly given a cot from a friend. It is natural untreated pine, but is a bit grubby, so after a good clean we would like to give it a lick of paint to match the nursery. Can we do this? Is there special 'baby safe' paint we should use? Again, really don't have a clue if it's safe or not.

Thanks.

purplemurple1 Sat 20-Jul-13 08:55:05

With mattresses PVC covered to reduce the risk od SIDs seems to be the advice I've found. (Some reseach showed SIDs can be increased by bodily fluids in the mattress giving off fumes. Sorry don't have the link to hand.)

happydaze77 Sat 20-Jul-13 21:14:53

Mattresses with a plastic/waterproof outer layer make babies very sweaty (esp in this heat)
We have a 'Little Green Sheep Twist' mattress (from mothercare, online) We also bought their breathable waterproof mattress cover.
It was more expensive than most but, like you, we were given a cot so we thought we'd spent the money we saved on a good mattress. After all, that's the most important part of their bed. It amazes me that people are happy to spend hundreds on a fancy cot/cotbed yet are content with a basic (often free) mattress that comes with it.
Can't advise on the paints though.

ExBrightonBell Sat 20-Jul-13 21:32:41

We also have the little green sheep twist mattress - it is lovely. Also have the mattress protector, which is also good.

Tidypidy Sat 20-Jul-13 21:36:43

We have a mamas and papas pocket spring mattress for our cot bed. Dc3 will soon be in it so it's done very good service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now