Advanced search

Long story about childcare/MIL/RTW...getting anxious about my decision making for my baby

(7 Posts)
Helsbelscm Tue 16-Jul-13 20:02:26

So went back to work 4 weeks ago.
Pre RTW plan was childminder 2 days and MIL 2 days. The night before I started back MIL rang to say she was leaving to visit her sick brother in Canada on the weekend for 3 weeks so would only be able to do 1st week childcare. I was kind of upset and very stressed (just to clarify i have no issue with the fact she decided to go it was the timing of the announcement, the way she did it and the fact she didnt seem to see it as a major problem which bothered me). Myself and DH felt we could not be left in same scenario again and told MIL we were going to make alternative childcare plans.
CM not available 1 day in the week we need so now have DD in CM 2 days and nursery 2 days (which we had to find last minute in a bit of a panic, all less than ideal).
DD has settled really well with CM and I really like her, I don't like the nursery so much. However now don't know what is best for DD whether its worse for her to be in 2 places every week & she should go to nursery all the time or whether I should keep her with the CM for half the time since they are clearly getting on great together. Or should I start my search again for a new nursery or CM I am really happy with?
I don't know if anyone can advise really just feeling a bit down about it all & worried for DD. she is 7 months now.

CMOTDibbler Tue 16-Jul-13 20:05:14

I'd leave things as they are for now and let things settle down.

AKissIsNotAContract Tue 16-Jul-13 20:08:50

If you like the CM stick with her and ask her to let you know if she ever becomes available for the other days.

Notsoyummymummy1 Tue 16-Jul-13 21:04:55

Stick with the childminder if your child is happy, it will give her a nice home type environment and she clearly likes her so don't disrupt her anymore. Keep her at the nursery for now and look around for one you're happier with. You are feeling uncomfortable because you had to rush an important decision through no fault of your own and that's completely understandable but try not to worry - she will settle into her routine and soon won't know any different.

PeanutPatty Tue 16-Jul-13 21:10:06

I'm a bit of a believer in not mixing business and pleasure.

PeanutPatty Tue 16-Jul-13 21:12:39

I'd suggest leaving things as they are for now but look for one CM or nursery who can do the four days or perhaps the CM could put you on the waiting list for the extra day as children swap days/places of care all the time. You might not have to wait as long as you think.

Helsbelscm Tue 16-Jul-13 21:20:28

Notso I think you are exactly right. I really took my time with making the original plans & felt terrible having to run around & look at nurseries in just one afternoon. It wasn't helped that at one of them they weren't very understanding & just went on about how upset she might be without a proper settling in period. My inclination was to leave her with the current CM & wait & see but have had a few people ask why I haven't just moved her to the nursery full time. Clearly it is best not to listen to other people but not so easy when I have already got my pants in a pickle over it all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now