Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

I want that car .... but, are lap belts legal on cars of a certain age?

(9 Posts)
spidermama Tue 06-Jun-06 13:48:02

I'm thinking of buying a 1983 VW Transpoerter/camper van which currently has no seat belts in the back. I could have lap belts fitted, but are these legal nowadays?

spidermama Tue 06-Jun-06 13:52:17

Bumping.
Please someone. My dad's here and he's pouring scorn on the idea that MNers might be any help at all on this.

Help me prove him wrong.

tiredemma Tue 06-Jun-06 14:07:03

think this may help???

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/seatbelts.htm

Twinkie1 Tue 06-Jun-06 14:13:19

Its all very well them being legal, its the question of them being safe that you have to worry about - lap belts - in an accident will assert (sp?) pressure on the most unprotected part of your body and although would save you flying about the car could still be quite dangerous.

I know that I wouldn't allow an adult or a child to use one and have deliberately bought cars with proper seat belts in the back both times.

I am totally paranoid about road safety though as have been in a fatal car accident before.

Kelly1978 Tue 06-Jun-06 14:38:39

some car seats can be fitted with lap belts only though.

Twinkie1 Tue 06-Jun-06 14:39:43

Thats the person who buys its decision then. I'm just saying that they may be legal but they are far from safe.

Blandmum Tue 06-Jun-06 14:40:45

Legal or not, I wouldn't go for it as the children will not be properly retrained using a lap belt. Unless there is a huge gap between the children's seats and the front seats (don't know the design) they risk smacking their heads into the front seats if there was an accident

Twinkie1 Tue 06-Jun-06 14:43:03

And having their spleen ruptured when thrown forward!!!

Loobie Tue 06-Jun-06 15:22:23

Right ok along the same lines! My car has a lap belt in the middle space in the back,the 3 kids have seats and boosters in the front and each side of the back seat,but i do often carry another person in the lap belt,which i dont like due to the reasons below.
So my question is can i have it changed to a full 3 point seat belt? and anyone any idea on how much it would cost ?
TIA

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: