Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Transition to cows milk at 1 - your stories

(10 Posts)
delilah88 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:49:18

Hello,
DD, currently EBF + eats solids, is 8 months old and I am beginning to wonder about the process of transferring her to cows milk at 1.
Has anyone done this? Is it easy / do they like the cows milk?
Did anyone do it a little early, like 11 months?
Thanks

MoaningMingeWhingesAgain Wed 26-Jun-13 15:51:10

I started to offer little bits around 11m while still BF. Went striaght to open beaker with a straw.

Carried on BF for a good while after that too. Never took to cows milk much as a drink but occasionally asks for some and has it on cereal etc.

FanjoPaterson Wed 26-Jun-13 15:52:50

Hmm. I put DD on cows milk at around thirteen months when I realised there wasn't any formula at stupid o'clock in the morning. She sucked it down and hasn't looked back since.
I do know that some people start with a 70:30 mix bm to cm and work onto straight cows milk.

Hope that's vaguely useful smile

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Jun-13 15:54:02

My DS was bfed, never had formula and decided he didn't like cows milk as a drink. He has it in cereal, and we make sure he has cheese and yoghurt which covers the calcium requirements.

Once you stop giving formula, remember it's recommended that children under 5 take a vitamin supplement.

MewlingQuim Wed 26-Jun-13 16:04:21

I used to express breast milk for DD's porridge when she went onto solids at 6 months, but I started using cows milk in the porridge instead from about 8 months and she didn't notice the difference. I started giving her cows milk to drink instead of expressed breast milk at about 10 months when I went back to work, I didn't really want to use formula and hv said I didn't need to bother if she was having a good diet and bf in the morning and evenings. I then phased out bf after 1 year when DD was no longer interested sad

MillyStar Wed 26-Jun-13 16:48:13

I started using it for cereal when i was weaning

Waited till 12 months and tried her with a warm bottle of it, she spat it out lol i tried 50/50 cows milk and formula for about 3 days then 3/4 cows 1/4 formula etc she was on 100% cows milk within about a week - it was a non event to be honest!

She's 14 months now and has a bottle when she wakes up and one before bed ;)

wigglesrock Wed 26-Jun-13 18:48:40

I went straight from formula to cows milk with all 3 of mine with no bother at all. No phasing it in, just a straight swop. It may have 11.5 months with dd3.

NatashaBee Wed 26-Jun-13 19:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

delilah88 Wed 26-Jun-13 21:15:44

Thank you so much for these stories - v. helpful. Especially mewling starting at 10 months with no ill effects. I was kind of wondering on the odd occasion I leave DD with DH at 10-11 months if she could try cows instead of expressed milk. She does like it (sometimes has some from our cereal bowls) and also loves dairy in general.

nextphase Wed 26-Jun-13 21:29:42

We did exactly what your proposing - as an occasional drink when I wasn't around for a short while from about 10mths - but BM kept as the main drink til well gone 12 months.

I figured that if I was giving them milk on cereal, and they were picking up the bowl and trying to drink it, out of a cup occasionally wasn't going to be an issue. I never expressed, or gave formula.

Diody cups here from 6 mths with water, and then milk from 12.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: