Talk

Advanced search

winding/tummy discomfort in a newborn

(5 Posts)
StuckOnARollercoaster Wed 26-Jun-13 07:42:33

Just after a bit of advice for my 10 day old baby girl. She's generally quite content and we do seem to be getting there with breastfeeding. What I've noticed though after a feed and a little play when she gets tired she seems to have some tummy discomfort - kicks her legs and won't settle until a little bit of sick had come up.
I do try to wind her after and in between feeds, either over my shoulder, on her tummy or sat up but I never manage to hear a burp or help her bring anything up. It's only after she gets laid down for the sleep and lots of discomfort on her part that the sick comes up and she can then drop to sleep.
Is there anything I can do to help her tummy - should I wind for longer, am I not doing it right or any massage/rubbing I can do when she's on her back to help her?
Its a first child and I don't have any mum friends or family that I can ask but I do have MN! Thanks in advance...

MrsHelsBels74 Wed 26-Jun-13 07:49:26

Try laying her on her stomach either across your lap or on your arm (imagine a cat asleep on a branch). Also I heard going up a flight of stairs can help, although I lived in a bungalow when DS was small so can't confirm if this is true.

pugoff Wed 26-Jun-13 08:31:46

Infacol!

CreatureRetorts Wed 26-Jun-13 08:48:40

Infacol didn't work for us and isn't proven to work.

It might be a touch of silent reflux - both of mine had similar. I would lie them on their left hand side across my lap and stroke their sides which got out the wind a lot easier.

StuckOnARollercoaster Wed 26-Jun-13 12:50:55

Thanks I'll try more of the tummy or side rubbing. Will take a look at what infacol is and see if MIL can get some!
(great thing about having new baby is getting my mum and mil running errands for me for a change!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now