Talk

Advanced search

What on earth has happened to my wonderful baby?

(11 Posts)
tigger8 Fri 21-Jun-13 16:15:51

My baby has been a 'dream' thus far, not least because I have waited 15 yrs for her! However, this past week she has become very, well.....annoying. She is shrieking and squealing a really high pitched noise a lot of the time which is fine at home, although I have a permanent headache but, out in public, the looks I am getting! She seems to be sucking her gums a lot, is napping less......could it be purely teething problems? She, also, seems to be sticking her finger in her ear a lot....ear infection? She is just over 11mths? Is she suddenly becoming a naughty child? Omg...is this a sign of things to come? Anyone else experienced anything similar with a baby this age? Any pointers greatly appreciated!

tigger8 Fri 21-Jun-13 18:25:35

Anybody?

pinkpanther79 Fri 21-Jun-13 18:31:52

My DD did the same about this age. She has discovered a new thing to do and it is fun. It'll stop when she finds the next new thing!

milkymocha Fri 21-Jun-13 18:33:07

I dont think shes becoming a naughty child smile

Definitely think its a combination of teething/frustration (is she mobile yet?) and just experimenting with her new voice and sounds.

She sounds completely normal (and wonderful!) ❤

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 21-Jun-13 18:33:31

The squealing must be an age thing I think. My DS is also 11 months and does this too. It's horrible! He also has screaming rages if he can't have something he wants.

Other than that, he's completely adorable...

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 21-Jun-13 18:36:10

Sounds like you've got a Changeling there. The fairies have nicked your baby. Feckers.

Although it could also be teething. The pulling of the ear is a particular sign. Keep her topped up with pain relief. The emergance of tge molars is very painful. My DS suffered terribly and would scream and scream at times. It was scary and nerve fraying to listen to.sad

Or it might be fairy related.

runningonwillpower Fri 21-Jun-13 18:38:11

You do know that wonderful babies are just people in waiting? They are individuals and they don't always conform to an ideal.

No, she is not suddenly becoming a naughty child. The shrieking and squealing for example, is sometimes the discovery of their voice. However, that said, she may or may not have an ear infection but either way her behaviour will almost certainly be normal; either a response to infection or a developmental step on her part.

Trust me, your wonderful baby will present many challenges in the years ahead. Many will be 'annoying' but you will just have to get on board.

tigger8 Fri 21-Jun-13 19:25:46

You just know when you write on here, albeit when nerves are frayed and you are a tad emotional, that a plethora of knowledgable people will bring you back to earth again with a smile not a thud. Thanks people x

thefuturesnotourstosee Sun 23-Jun-13 22:12:33

I hear you.

DS is 11 months this week. He's discovered he can make a growling noise and also blow raspberries both of which he does almost constantly. The ear pulling and hand chewing is very familiar too.

Comforting to read this thread thanks for posting and thanks for the responses.

exoticfruits Sun 23-Jun-13 22:20:10

They are realising that they are not an extension of you. They are experimenting. They find they have a will if their own. They will go through 'phases'- the annoying behaviour will stop..............then a different one will start! grin by the teenage ones you will look back fondly to a bit I'd squealing and think 'wasn't life simple' !

monstergoose Mon 24-Jun-13 03:52:34

Think yourself lucky you lasted til 11m before the squealing started! My dd is 19wks and learnt she could squeal and scream a few days ago. Now even when she's happy she does a horrible ear-piercing squeal, especially if she's having a giddy/wriggly minute on her mat. She has also learnt to blow raspberries so we have constant slobbery bibs as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now