Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Filling landfills or wasting water....

(150 Posts)
robin3 Wed 31-May-06 15:00:41

For DS2 a friend has gone 80% of way to persuading me to use the washable nappies but DP still thinks that we should concentrate on saving water this summer and this would surely create another couple of loads a week if not more.

What d'ya reckon?

expatinscotland Wed 31-May-06 15:03:03

Washable nappies. They can be used for more than one child and/or passed on once your child is done w/them.

A non-degradable disposable, however, will be here a long, long time after just one use.

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 15:03:05

are you in a drought type water area?

Marne Wed 31-May-06 15:03:34

Buy bio-degrabible (sp) nappies then evryone is happy

robin3 Wed 31-May-06 15:05:54

London - worst possible place. Taken to saving bath water for garden.

TheOutlawJessaOfJamberoo Wed 31-May-06 15:08:11

It's couple of washing loads a week vs a sack full of yukky nappies a week.
cloth is also cheaper than disposable, cloth nappies don't emit that bizarre stench that wet disposables do, cloth nappies don't leave odd crystals on your baby's backside if they get too wet...

pablopatito Wed 31-May-06 15:08:44

Hmmn, interesting dilemna. But, speaking as someone who knows nothing about this subject, I would guess that filling landfills is far worse than wasting water.

You could always wash the nappies by hand in the bath after you've bathed your children but I suspect that that would be taking environmental concern a step too far.

TheOutlawJessaOfJamberoo Wed 31-May-06 15:08:51

bath? shower uses less water shuld save enough to wash a few nappies!!

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 15:10:10

TBH, I dry pailed mine. I had a very eco friendly washing machine which re used its water. I washed them with other whites and pale colours. I do not actually think it incresed my loads, just made my actual loads 4 nappies bigger every day

nailpolish Wed 31-May-06 15:10:36

a power shower can use up to 1/3 more water than a bath

keeping showers to under 5 mins is the ideal thing to do

robin3 Wed 31-May-06 15:16:09

Blimey...you guys trying to kill me with good intention?

Friend also said that there are concerns about the chemicals in disposables and the heat they generate for boys around their bits which can result in infertility. Poor DS1...probably ruined for life .

pablopatito Wed 31-May-06 15:26:22

There are plenty of environmental problems with cotton nappies as well. I think to be truly safe you'd need to be nappy free. I believe some parents potty train their babies from birth?

Uwila Wed 31-May-06 15:55:49

"...chemicals in disposables and the heat they generate for boys around their bits which can result in infertility..."

Disposables generate heat??? Doubt it. Is she claiming an exothermic reaction between urine and nappy material? I dare say that sounds a bit far fetched.

Gingerbear Wed 31-May-06 16:00:37

I tried dry-pailing like piffle did but found that soaking in water with lavender oil/tee tree was much easier to stop the staining (bright orange poo anyone? ), and the nappies and liners went in with the whites - no more washloads than normal.

Bramshott Wed 31-May-06 16:37:34

Compostable disposables and a wormery??

Elibean Wed 31-May-06 16:58:50

Am also considering this exact thing....used mostly Nature B&G to start with last time (but they leaked once dd started crawling), and am trying to find out about 'real' nappies. Probably daft question, but what is 'dry pailing'??

Cappucino Wed 31-May-06 17:28:28

dry pailing is not soaking them, but putting them straight in a bucket with a good lid. actually it smells less

washable nappies, much better than saving water for the environment. I only wash mine once every three days anyhoo

Cappucino Wed 31-May-06 17:28:56

and by less, I mean it doesn't smell

Elibean Wed 31-May-06 18:01:35

Thanks Cappuccino. That sounds good - and once every three days sounds good too. I've heard of nets that you put in the pail, then you can just lift the whole thing out and stick in washing machine...feeling braver...mind you, at 13 weeks pg, thats not so hard...

eggybreadandbeans Wed 31-May-06 21:05:36

Did similar deliberating before ds (nearly two) born. Friend from antenatal class who works in renewable energies said evidence in favour of washables is surprisingly weak. The amount of water and electricity involved in washing (and tumble-drying) negates some of their seemingly green qualities.

That said, non-biodegradable disposables are pretty crap on the environmental front. We decided to go for the Nature Boy & Girl range (70% biodegradable; available in Boots and Waitrose) - wipes, nappy sacks and all - and have stuck with them from day 1.

On few occasions ds has worn Pampers/Tesco, he has got a sore bum (unusual for him). So the materials and chemicals in Nature's nappies must be kinder on their bums and bits too.

Elibean Thu 01-Jun-06 09:16:36

[perking up ears] thats interesting, Eggy...hmm.

Bramshott Thu 01-Jun-06 10:05:39

I hate to say this (and have only recently been convinced of this myself), but using biodegradable/compostable disposables (eg Nature B&G) is only really a green option if you actually compost them. If not, then admittedly there may be less chemicals used to make them, but they will not biodegrade effectively in landfill. That said, we do use them, and don't compost them yet, but I'm planning to try very soon . . . I definitely read somewhere that a wormery was the easiest way.

Cappucino Thu 01-Jun-06 10:10:26

eggybread there was a study a while ago about washables v disposables that said there wasn't anything in it but it was found to be flawed.. even the study authors came out and said so

they based a lot of it on a) unreliable information about cotton production and where it was produced and b) they didn't contact modern cloth nappy users but did street surveys, so they met a lot of people who 'remembered' how it used to be done with pins, boil washing, lashings of napisan etc etc

since most cloth users are concerned about the environment anyway, they are felt to choose the 'greenest' way of washing for their cloth. I know very few cloth nappy users, for example, who rely on their tumble dryer for nappy drying

so I have to say I really disagree with you

juuule Thu 01-Jun-06 10:20:24

Eggy - can't agree with you and don't know why your friend would say what she did. Unless she was referring to the flawed Environment Agency report.
You might find this from Womens Environmental Network interesting reading:
WEN

Anyone who has read the EA lifecycle report would find it laughable. Most of the cloth nappy data is "assumed" i.e. they made it up.

At the present time I can't see how cloth nappies could possibly not be the greenest option.

Elibean Thu 01-Jun-06 10:48:52

Sigh. Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true.

I know about composting being best with biodegradables (read Sunday papers last weekend) but in a small London garden don't think I can face wormery.

Think I'll at least get a sample package of cloth nappies and give them a go...really couldnt' have coped with them first time (too many health issues postpartum, new Mum, etc) but hopefully can this time.

I'm glad you lot have the info, I'm totally clueless here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: