Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Your tales of lost children please

(23 Posts)
FloatingOnTheMed Tue 30-May-06 17:40:19

dd is 2.9 and i've never lost her. dsis & i got lost a few times when we were around her age, i know & understand of course how it does happen but just can't imagining taking my eyes off dd out of doors long enough for it to happen. if we're in a crowded place, i hang onto her or keep her in the buggy. Also understand much harder with more than 1 child!

my mum tells of a story when we were on holiday we all went into a sweet shop but she said she & my dad entered the shop first and assumed we were right behind them . wtf?? i remember a lady finding us & taking us to a police station. another time we got lost a mile or so from home in a busy part of london, my mum reckons i was about 3, & we found our own way home. i remember it too. dsis is 18 months younger than me!! I don't understand why me & dsis at that age were both obv on our feet in a busy street!

someone i know lost his little ds in the middle of the millennium night on the south bank!! so terrifying.

Freckle Tue 30-May-06 17:46:06

DH lost DS2 last Saturday. DS2 (10) and DH were on their way to Twickenham for the Premiership rugby final. They had to get on a train at Clapham Junction and go to Twickenham. All well and good, except that DS2 jumped on the train and DH, ever laid back and cool, strolled along only to have the doors close in his face with him still on the platform. He yelled at DS2 to get off at Twickenham, but had no idea whether he'd got there until he himself arrived - and the train he got later was a very slow one.

Fortunately some lovely off-duty policeman was on the train and spotted what had happened (if your dw is a mnetter I thank you sooo much!) and stayed with DS2 until DH arrived. DS2 was none the worse for the experience and was quite gleeful when he told me.

OK, so it's not the same as losing a toddler, but a 10yo who has never been to London without one or both parents around could have got himself into a whole lot of trouble!

P.S. We are from the sticks.

Tommy Tue 30-May-06 17:48:29

lost DS1 (aged just 3) a year ago. I was looking at the clothes and he just wondered off. A security guard found him about 10 minutes later running through the food section crying. It was the worst 10 minutes of my life but I couldn't fault the staff - they were brilliant and even gave us a voucher for the cafe so I could go and have a cup of tea to calm down afterwards....

intergalacticwalrus Tue 30-May-06 17:50:55

My friend FORGOT his son once. They had all gone for a Sunday afternoon drink at a nice pub on the outskirts of Bath while Sunday lunch was cooking. When they had left they didn't notice that they had left him behind. It wasn't until they all sat down at the table they they had realised he was missing. My friend sped back to the pub to find his DS sitting at the pub quiz machine being fed crisps and Vimto and generally having a whale of a time. To this day (it was about 20 years ago) he still feels terrible about it.

Bink Tue 30-May-06 17:51:04

Ds aged 7 gave me the slip, within about 20 seconds of me taking my eye off him, at a woodcraft fair in Kew Gardens. He was found earnestly interviewing the demonstration lady at the home-weaving display.

Kelly1978 Tue 30-May-06 17:55:25

I got left behind on the return from a girls brigade trip. about 12 miles from home, the coach went off without me as I didn't hear the call. I went up to a stranger who gave me a lift home.

I've lost ds a good few times, he went through a phase of running off and tellign ppl he had lost his mummy. I've been very embarrassed in larghe dept stores, by snooty shoppinh assistants and security guards. The best one w3as when he managed to get in a lift in a shopping center and go down three floors. I was stuck holding a pram while security guys chased down the esclators after him!

charliecat Tue 30-May-06 17:55:32

My mum put my brother and sister on the train they were 7 and 5ish , she turned round to get the suitcases and it sped off they got off at next station and she met them there, same as Freckles dh, screamed at them to get off at the next stop.

FloatingOnTheMed Tue 30-May-06 18:12:27

actually i just remembered i was at a soft play place with dd, my friend & the kids she was looking after. my friend had to go out to the car park,i was watching the kids. my dd followed her through the cafe area, friend didn't notice. i didn't realise dd could open the doors & a few mins later i had no idea where she was. luckily another mother came back with her saying she had gone right out to the car park!! i was so i don't think i even apologised to the lady!

Whizzz Tue 30-May-06 18:20:08

I got lost on a beach in Wales when I was 4 & I can still remember it ! Thats the reason I got DS some of those kids wristbands that you put your mobile number on in case they get lost !

bogwobbit Tue 30-May-06 18:23:11

My mum managed to lose ds in a supermarket when he was about 3 - poor mite was quite traumatised by it.
She then lost dd (aged 2) in a different supermarket a couple of months ago.
Oh, and when I was v young - must have been under 2 as my mum was pregnant with my brother - I managed to get out of the house and wander away. Was found by a neighbour nearly a mile away
And this is the woman who worked as a nursery teacher???

singersgirl Tue 30-May-06 18:27:24

Lost DS2, a month shy of 3, at Disney in California. Heart-stoppingly dreadful. He was gone at least 20 minutes, park security alerted etc. Fortunately a teenage couple had spotted him wandering alone, a good 10 minutes from where we last saw him, and delivered him to Lost Children. When we got there, DH hugged him and burst into tears, and DS2 said "Get out of my way. I'm watching The Wiggles". Callous child (actually a bit too young to realise how scary it was).

FloatingOnTheMed Tue 30-May-06 18:37:50

My mum said i should teach dd our address & phone no like she taught us, but i think this is extremely dangerous surely? I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my dd could tell any old stranger where she lives. Phone no perhaps ok.

sunnydelight Tue 30-May-06 19:22:00

I lost DS1, then about 7, on the beach in Brighton following the children's parade that kicks off the festival. At the end of the parade that year everyone was directed on the beach so when he went missing it was a bit pointless going around asking "have you seen a child..." He had wandered off with some friends but when they turned back to find us there were lots more people and they all got disorientated. He was missing for about an hour and I'll never forget it!

wilbur Tue 30-May-06 19:25:54

We lost ds1, then just turrned 2, in an almost empty Florida shopping mall. It was one of those real, one second he was there and the next the corridor was deserted. Found him after a few panicky minutes (I was preg with dd at the time and couldn't run fast enough!) in the window of a shop we'd been in not long before, he'd gone back to look at something. Phew. Also lost him briefly at Legoland when he peeled off to go and look at some trains in a shop.

joanna4 Tue 30-May-06 23:32:12

My son went missing when he was 5 he wanted to go see the pokemon movie I wouldnt let him.Another family on the street had moved in he was friendly with their son but i didnt know the parents from adam.They went to see pokemon and asked my son if he wanted to go telling him to check with me.Of course he didnt check but said he had and when i went round to the house where son was playing prior there was no answer!
We only twigged what had happened when another kid who had been playing said oh they went to see pokemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So i had to find the cinema describe my son describe the lady who was other kids mum -did i know her name errr no how bad did that look!!
I dont know how many english words she knew but i bet i had added a few more by the time i left her in the foyer.All she had to do was knock and ask me it is a normal responsible thing to do.To this day matt has never seen the pokemon film right through he is 11 now.

BudaBabe Tue 30-May-06 23:54:13

I remember once when I was little being in town with my parents and I got lost in a supermarket. Coincidentally I went down an aisle and found my Nana - she wasn't with us!!!

She gave my Dad HELL for losing me!

serenity Wed 31-May-06 01:12:28

Lost DS1 when he was 3.5 in Drusillas Zoo down on the south coast. I panicked for about 10 minutes, before we found him, he'd run on ahead with some older children (we were in a big group)

I've lost DD loads of times (third child who has no fear of being on her own) The worst two were in the school playground, couldn't find her for ages. In the end we discovered she'd slipped inside when a class came out and had gone and sat in the library with a book and in IKEA. IKEA was embarrassing (I work there!) she disappeared out of the restaurant and made her way back down stairs so she could watch Madagascar on the screen outside Smaland She's 2.5 btw. I have given up panicking now though, just start grabbing people and roping in help!

singledadofthree Wed 31-May-06 02:10:34

playing hide and seek a few years ago when dd1 was determined not to be found. spent ages looking for her and thought she'd fell in a bog or such like. was loads of us using walkie talkies and she just went quiet - i was dashing round like a lune trying to find her.

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 02:19:32

My mother left me at a Supermarket when I was 4, didn't realised she had lost me until she arrived home. From then on, I took care of her, she couldn't be trusted not to forget about one of us!

Wondering wether I should follow the same strategy with DS who has a tendency to wander in public places. The other day I hid to see what he would do and he took himself to a bench and calmly screamed "mama" until I showed up! No fear, no panic, plain commodity!

eidsvold Wed 31-May-06 05:42:15

my mum los tme one day - large department store - one of those - there one minute not the next. SO she and other people in the store ran around looking for me. Found me sitting on a little stool that was part of a bedroom display - happily swinging my legs watching people looking for me.

have you read this one...

why parents drink

A boss wondered why one of his most valued employees had not phoned in sick one day.

Having an urgent problem with one of the main computers, he dialled the
employee's home phone number and was greeted with a child's whisper.

"Hello?"

"Is your daddy home?" he asked.

"Yes," whispered the small voice.

May I talk with him?"

The child whispered, "No."

Surprised and wanting to talk with an adult, the boss asked, "Is your
Mummy there?"

"Yes."

"May I talk with her?"

Again the small voice whispered, "No."

Hoping there was somebody with whom he could leave a message, the boss
asked, "Is anybody else there?"

"Yes," whispered the child, "a policeman."

Wondering what a policman would be doing at his employee's home, the
boss asked, "May I speak with the policeman?"

"No, he's busy", whispered the child.

"Busy doing what?"

"Talking to Mummy and Daddy and the Fireman," came the whispered answer.

Growing more worried as he heard what sounded like a helicopter through
the earpiece on the phone, the boss asked, "What is that noise?"

"A hello-copper" answered the whispering voice.

"What is going on there?" demanded the boss, now truly apprehensive.

Again, whispering, the child answered, "The search team just landed the
hello-copper."

Alarmed, concerned and a little frustrated the boss asked, "What are
they searching for?"

Still whispering, the young voice replied with a muffled giggle:

.............."ME."

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 15:37:12

PMSL eidsvold!

tallulah Wed 31-May-06 19:04:59

I have lost my middle two boys more times than I can count

I was at a country fair, 7 months pregnant with no 4 and suddenly realised that no 2 (3 years old) wasn't with me. Total panic. Fortunately another mum from school was there because trying to find a small child at an outdoor event while trying not to lose your 5 year old and your 21 month old in the process is almost impossible. We found him about an hour later- he'd gone off to look at something. There was a deep pond round the back of the main arena and I was terrified he'd fallen in and drowned.

Lost the same child at Camber Sands when he was about 7. Again on my own with the children. We were in the sea and he walked back to the towels. We went back a bit later- no sign of him. I have never felt so sick.. Had it been any of the others I'd have assumed they'd wandered off but he hates the sea, hates the sand and is a bit of a loner. Had to abandon the rest of the children and walk about a mile to the Ranger station. He drove me round the beach in his Land Rover but was very concerned when he saw how small the children I'd left behind were, and went to look on his own. It was a good hour and a half before he came back with ds in the land rover. Both me and DS burst into tears!!

And we lost ds2 at an open day. He was 3 but we weren't quite so worried because he has ADHD and it was normal for him to wander. There was a grass hovercraft giving rides and I looked up as it sped past to see him grinning in the front seat...he'd fancied a go and got on with an old man..

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 19:07:18

I lost ds once in a market (in NZ sandwiched between two very busy capital city roads)when he was 2
Worst 5 mins of my life, he was found in a wool shop sitting on a rocking sheep with about 12 security staff me and his dad looking for him.
We had been walking from the stalls through to the food hall, we were seconds behind him, he just diappeared
Now he's 12 and I try to lose him but to no avail
Have never lost dd

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: