Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Paranoid that something will happen to my daughter

(12 Posts)
Carmar0210 Wed 12-Jun-13 12:49:14

I have a daughter who is nearly two and have been becoming increasingly anxious that something will happen to her. In the past (before i became a mum)I worked closely with parents who have lost children and I think it has warped my perspective. I have awful thoughts about how desperate life would be if she was in an accident or was kidnapped and once it pops into my head I find it hard to shake. I fully expect to be told this is normal! But does it ever ease?

I'm not sure it does sad

I have no idea what's normal Mum worry and what's more than that but I had a chat with a mental health professional recently and mentioned I had visions of bad things happening to my children (for example pulling a hot pan off the stove/getting hit by a car) which mean I'm on high alert to make sure these things don't happen - apparently this can be a symptom of several things including OCD and PTSD. I didn't realise it could manifest like this so if that sounds similar to what you're experiencing it might be worth having a chat with your GP - if not I think it's normal to worry to a certain extent in order to keep them safe and remind you how previous they are... hopefully someone else will be able to respond in a bit about what's normal!

*previous should read precious!

Carmar0210 Wed 12-Jun-13 14:56:17

You've just described exactly what I do. The fact that its so vivid means I often just burst into years as soon as I think of it - and it's started happening at work so I need to get a grip! Ill go to the doctors- thanks.

Haggisfish Wed 12-Jun-13 21:37:31

I have this, too - I am prone to anxiety and an overactive imagination anyway! I avoid all and any crime programme/documentaries about child crime/drama and try to avoid watching the news, too. A bit of CBT sort of thinking helps me.

matana Wed 12-Jun-13 21:47:55

I have always been good at pushing these thoughts to the back of my mind, but just lately it has increased for me too.Ds is 2.6 and I think it's because he's becoming so independent. I looked at him sleeping the other night and thought "I want to keep you safe forever, but I know I can't". He looked so peaceful and innocent. I had the most awful dream that I lost him, he just disappeared and I couldn't find him. The emotions I felt in the dream were exactly like I imagine it feels like to really lose a child. It felt so real that I woke up crying and sweating and I can't explain how relieved I was that it was just a dream. I also wonder whether it's because of the coverage in the news recently about April Jones and others. Everywhere I look I seem to see traumatised parents looking for their children. I'm not normally like this and can keep things in perspective.

Helpyourself Wed 12-Jun-13 21:51:26

Were you adequately supervised in your previous job, OP?
I mean clinically supervised? Whether you were or not it might be worth having a few sessions now.

Helpyourself Wed 12-Jun-13 21:52:44

Were you adequately supervised in your previous job, OP?
I mean clinically supervised? Whether you were or not it might be worth having a few sessions now.

Carmar0210 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:16:05

No I wasn't cl

Carmar0210 Thu 13-Jun-13 09:19:21

No I wasn't clinically supervised- I think because I wasn't providing an advisory role, but in retrospect it might have been helpful to have a few sessions very now and then.

Helpyourself Thu 13-Jun-13 09:25:06

I think it would be helpful now. Do you have any contacts at the place you used to work who could put you in touch with someone who understands your needs. You don't want a generalist who would work with you on everything.
Another thing you can do is be quite ruthless in looking after your mental health and triggers. Don't feel the slightest twinge about stopping disturbing conversations, even to rj point of rudeness. 'I really don't want to discuss that trial.' Ditto with newspapers and tv news.

Carmar0210 Fri 14-Jun-13 08:15:44

Yes, lll look into it. Good idea about stopping conversations- it also applies to the news i guess, I read stories that definately trigger it. ill try that too! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now