Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

what was the best new born baby present you got?

(43 Posts)
RobertdeNiroswaiting Fri 26-May-06 14:35:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colditz Fri 26-May-06 14:36:59

A bottle of Smirnoff and a big pack of nappies.

fruitful Fri 26-May-06 14:38:28

offers of help (e.g. home-made vouchers to be exchanged for babysitting)

home-cooked meals to put in the freezer

Possibly not what you had in mind!

compo Fri 26-May-06 14:38:43

I liked personal things - like a friend cross stitched a teddy bear and put it in a frame with ds' name on it. Also got the letters of ds' name from someone else to go on his bedroom door.
Failing that chocolate and wine

BROWNY Fri 26-May-06 14:39:24

Looking back now, it was definately a Sing and Sign DVD, ds loves it and has helped him enormously to tell me what he wants/needs, highly recommended - for your 1 year old to tell you that he wants milk and something to eat is just wonderful!

YellowFeathers Fri 26-May-06 14:39:58

My mum bought me some fab skincare stuff which she brought to the hospital. Made me feel lovely after having dd.

Pratical wise, the nappy bin was a bit of god send and the nappies too!

The not so good pressie was the huge fizzing bath bomb. Didn't go down well with my stiches!

calicopie Fri 26-May-06 14:42:27

A big tin of muffins/cookies from Beverly Hills Bakery. I still have stronger memories of that than anything else from that time - it's 4 years ago now.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Bink Fri 26-May-06 14:43:06

I gave a couple of friends a drawstring cut-on-the-bias long linen skirt (from White Stuff - sorry, tried to do link but it doesn't like it - www.whitestuff.com) and they both were really really pleased. Flattering and comfy and not maternity.

Also - if they're bookish breast-feeders - a pack of amusing lightweight books to make those 3.05 am wake-ups slightly more bearable.

madmarchhare Fri 26-May-06 14:44:36

A big pie from the woman over the road.

TheHun Fri 26-May-06 14:48:40

baby gets so much and is oblivious so I think gift for mum and dad great idea. Wine, chocolates, cookies all great. Pampering smelly stuff good also. If you live close offering practical help and freezer meals. I remember a friend coming round one morning to look after dd whilst I got ready at leisure, I even managed to wash and blow dry my hair. Actually, voucher to get hair done at hairdressers would be a treat, or a pedicure!

YellowFeathers Fri 26-May-06 14:51:56

Or favourite dvds/films?

Just going off Binks book idea. It reminded me that I used to sit and watch friends over and over as it cheered me up through the long feeds!

madmarchhare Fri 26-May-06 14:53:53

<slight hijack> Why 'yellowfeathers' nbg?

bythesouthsea Fri 26-May-06 15:00:19

We have just given our friends a big bag of goodies - for baby, for mum and for dad (including a cigar!) - they all had something and they really appreciated it - & a bottle of champagne to toast the new baby.

MrsBadgerTheCelloPedaller Fri 26-May-06 15:13:51

new dressing gown for the mother (esp if winter baby) - never in your life do you spend so much time in it...

Melpomene Fri 26-May-06 15:35:34

My sister put together a decorated box of edible goodies: fresh strawberries, oranges, sweets, chocolates etc. She decorated the box. I was in hospital for 3 days so it was lovely having lots of nice things to nibble.

Melpomene Fri 26-May-06 15:37:45

or a voucher for Mum to have a pedicure/manicure - make sure the voucher will stay valid for a few months.

blueteddy Fri 26-May-06 15:37:58

Message withdrawn

YellowFeathers Fri 26-May-06 15:40:30

(MMH, I ended up getting copacabana song stuck in my head! and we're moving soon so I won't be barnsleygirl anymore!)

EvesMama Fri 26-May-06 15:50:24

lullaby light show which was a present from us to dd and at 3 years she still loves it!..plays with it and more recently sends her off to sleep again

JuA Fri 26-May-06 15:51:56

A delivery from tesco - containing a "finest" ready meal, a yummy dessert and a couple of bottles of wine. A complete surprise and one of the nicest meals we ate that first week!

BagelBird Fri 26-May-06 16:08:27

Shopping vouchers with the offer of babysitting while I went out for a break.
Boring but so useful. So many people like to buy you clothes when you already have bin bags full, toys that they won’t need for three years, chocs when you are on a diet etc etc It is lovely that people want to shop for you but I found those who could restrain themselves and let me enjoy shopping for exactly what I needed, when I needed it, gave me a nice treat and morning off.

CarolinaMoose Fri 26-May-06 16:09:34

a childless mate of mine gave us the no.1 single, album, paperback and hardback for the week ds was born. I thought it was a lovely idea, like a time capsule for him.

The downside is we're now the proud owners of Robbie's Greatest Hits...

kate100 Fri 26-May-06 16:41:10

My best friend vacuumed my house from the top to the bottom and cleaned the bathroom, while I lay on the sofa and had a little sleep.

sugarfree Fri 26-May-06 16:49:35

That tesco delivery idea is brilliant,I'm going to use that one!

rarrie Fri 26-May-06 16:55:06

The best was a tin of specially made cakes and cookies etc from a bakery. There were loads and it kept our guests going for ages! Fab idea!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: