Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Where to buy a cot from...

(7 Posts)
mumtosp Thu 30-May-13 23:15:56

Hi all,

7 mo DS and I have always co-slept, but now I need to move him to a cot in preparation for going back to work.

Any recommendations on where I can buy a cot from? Should I get a cot bed ? Not sure what the difference between them is ?? And what about mattresses!!?? I've led to believe that there are loads of options for mattresses....

Also, are Mammas and Papas any good for cots ?? It's just that I have a massive gift voucher from them and would like it use it on something big..

Thanks in advance smile

LittleMissLucy Fri 31-May-13 00:11:33

I highly recommend John Lewis online. I got a cot-bed (convertible) from there for my DS and it lasted until he was 4. The cot sides do not slide up and down, but when you take them off and change the headboard / footboard you get a nice little toddler bed. Very solid. I think it cost about $100 + the price of a mattress. As I said it lasted 4 yrs and he was loathe to part with it but he got too big.

MoelFammau Fri 31-May-13 01:15:44

Ikea. I got the cheapest one possible. Think it cost £30. It's great and DD (2) still sleeps in it at her Dads.

MoelFammau Fri 31-May-13 01:16:34

Also got the cheapest mattress blush

LittleMissLucy Fri 31-May-13 01:20:43

I forgot to say, I got the cheapest cot-bed but the most expensive mattress because I wanted it to last and it did.

fairylightsinthespring Fri 31-May-13 07:18:39

hi We had one from Ikea, called Leksvig or something like that. 4 years and 2 kids later it's still in perfect nick. No sliding sides but had two heights which is good for newborns (in case you have another and don't co-sleep). If you are planning on stopping at one DC I would say get a cot bed (which is just a bigger cot with removal sides so it becomes a junior bed) but if you will want it for another baby later, then you could just get a normal size cot and get this child a normal size single when he is 2ish. I would also recommend spending the money on a sprung rather than foam mattress. John Lewis is fab for baby stuff but often much more expensive than ikea. Bear in mind that Ikea bed sizes are not standard UK sizes so you can't get sheets or mattresses from there for a non ikea cot.

LittleMissLucy Fri 31-May-13 20:39:06

Ikea also do nice mattress covers - which you can wash...if there are any night time leaks (had forgotten about those!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: