Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

People 'promoting' on Mumsnet.

(9 Posts)
cheeseypeas Wed 24-May-06 23:16:49

Just being 'Devils Advocate' here, but thinking about the recent Gina Ford threads. If GF or another author came on Mumsnet and promoted their book covertly by using various different user names by joiniing/starting converstaions in posts, would that be legal?

I personally think that would be a bit naughty. just a thought though.

suejonez Wed 24-May-06 23:20:48

I don't think there a law against being a self promoter. Picking a different user name to your real name is hardly uncommon! Unethical maybe but illegal definitely not.

FillyjonktheSnibbet Wed 24-May-06 23:23:34

Can't see how it wouldn't be legal. Unethical, yes. Illegal, no.

fattiemumma Wed 24-May-06 23:24:08

i think considering recent threads it would be a pretty brave/thick skinned auther to come and peddle their books in here!

pablopatito Thu 25-May-06 09:16:21

I did read once that Amazon have a big problem with authors, author's friends and author's publishers posting positive reviews for their books, and also posting negative reviews for books by their rivals.

It happens. The only advice is to take EVERYTHING you read on the internet with a pinch of salt. I am actually John Grisham and only post on here cos I'm doing research for my new book.

pablopatito Thu 25-May-06 09:16:24

I did read once that Amazon have a big problem with authors, author's friends and author's publishers posting positive reviews for their books, and also posting negative reviews for books by their rivals.

It happens. The only advice is to take EVERYTHING you read on the internet with a pinch of salt. I am actually John Grisham and only post on here cos I'm doing research for my new book.

pablopatito Thu 25-May-06 09:16:32

pablopatito Thu 25-May-06 09:16:45

oops, what happened there?

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 09:18:28

Don't worry, pablo, you should see what happened to 'crunchie' last night - her message was posted about 50 times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: