Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Aargh..first born is starting Primary school this year

(12 Posts)
B8 Wed 24-May-06 23:12:42

I'm mum to L 20 weeks and B 5yrs- he's starting school and apart from fact that I'm tying myself in knots trying to split my time between the two, I'm struggling with fact that B is growing up rapidly and starting school this year! Feeling mix of excitement and loss!

WestCountryLass Wed 24-May-06 23:17:08

My eldest is starting school this year too and it is so bittersweet

I can't believe he is such a big boy but equally I am in no rush to get rid of him either.

B8 Wed 24-May-06 23:20:20

Thank god someone else feeling the same- either I'm not nuts, or we both are!Have a sneaking suspicion that I will be thorn in side of teacher, no matter how good they are- oh god- My boy will need therapy for years!

B8 Thu 25-May-06 22:08:26

Westcountrylass, my worst fears have been confirmed, tis only you and I who mourn the loss of our sons to the big monster of formal education!

Twiglett Thu 25-May-06 22:10:32

couldn't wait for mine to start

he was so ready for it and so was I (he started sept. at 'big' school btw)

try not to interfere with teaching .. but you'll find its very consultative now

jamiesam Thu 25-May-06 22:11:35

I think I won't miss ds1 until he's gone! At the moment I'm really excited for him and just hope that he settles in quickly. He is of course a child genius and will have no problem with the work

KBear Thu 25-May-06 22:11:50

I feel the same but my DS is my second child but my only boy. When DD started school I still had my baby at home but when he goes I'll have no one to play with (sob). Can't imagine him in school uniform. waaaaaah

handlemecarefully Thu 25-May-06 22:25:39

Dd is starting in September - I'm counting the days. Bit regretful that she will start with just mornings only initially.

cazzybabs Thu 25-May-06 22:31:41

Mine is starting in Sept and I have been all excitited about her going until now and now I feel all sad. She is no longer going to be safe in her nursery where she was been since she was 3 months! she is not my baby anymore - where does the time go?

B8 Thu 25-May-06 22:44:20

A friend who has older children once said to me that for the first few years, she really felt that her children were exactly that- her children. Then when it came time for big school, she siad that it felt as though they belonged to the state, rather than her family. Know it's a bit deep for a Thursday pm, but it's only recently I had been thinking about it. Don't get me wrong, at times I can't wait(for my sake and his), but I do have this niggling sense of loss. I wonedr if it'd the first born thing- I felt that I practically wished his first year away, with won't it be great when he eats solids/crawls/walks, whereas with number two I am squeezing every last drop out of the baby stage- any thoughts?

WestCountryLass Sat 27-May-06 13:00:25

"Everyone" I speak to can't wait to send them, when I tell them how I feel you'd have thought i'd have sprouted another head fom the way they look at me!!!

Of course I know he has to go for lots of reasons and when we talk about school I am of course beaming with positivity, I wouldn't hold him back in any way.

But that said, I am sad he is going for my own selfish reasons (because he is a pleasure to spend time with and I love him to bits!). I know some will be reaching for the sick bag but it takes all sorts and I am "one of them"

foxinsocks Sat 27-May-06 13:02:22

we have a 'starting reception this year thread' but I have no idea where it is

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: