Talk

Advanced search

Unknown

(9 Posts)
ladythatlunches Tue 28-May-13 08:39:49

Hi, my dc is 2yr 4 months.

Always been a good sleeper, she has a good routine bath milk put down to bed and she falls straight to sleep. Never ever had a problem .....Until 2 weeks ago.

She went to bed as normal. Woke up at 2am crying and screaming. She wouldn't lie back down I gave her a cuddle the she wouldn't get back in bed.I thought maybe a nightmare so I brang her in bed.
She stopped crying but didn't go back to sleep just played with my eye lids and banging my head till 6am when I just got up.

Since then we have had one night where she refussed to go to bed screaming sobbing

.I've tried everything from letting her cry it out. Giving her cuddles. Sleeping in her bed with her. Sleeping in floor next to her, even giving her a drink and calpol.

She is 1 of 5 and having about 2 hours sleep at night is draining me im exhausted. If anyone can help or offer advice I would be so grateful

Alanna1 Tue 28-May-13 10:51:44

Teething? Talk to your GP? Time to drop daytime naps?

ladythatlunches Tue 28-May-13 11:53:49

She doesn't nap in day hadn't for ages.

No teeth coming through she seams to have them all.

I'm exhausted feel so low

CreatureRetorts Tue 28-May-13 13:47:05

What about if you set up camp in her room so she gets used to her bed again? Also is she getting an early enough bedtime? It's common for young 2 year olds to seem to want to drop their nap but they do actually need it still and end up quite sleep deprived. This then causes disturbed nights.

Also look at her diet. Cut out sugar and processed crap and minimal tv especially before bed.

Unlurked Tue 28-May-13 13:59:32

My dd did this when she was 2yo. Apparently it's a really common age for nightmares or night terrors to start. For us there was a lot of just waiting it out (which was hellish, we were all horribly sleep deprived). We would sit with her until she fell asleep and sit with her again if she woke through the night which sometimes took 2 hours confused but she was absolutely terrified. We also changed her bedroom around and got her a nightlight (we got a star projector thing which worked really well as it didn't really cast shadows).

I really feel for you, I know how horrible it is. It did take us a good few months for dd to go back to sleeping normally but we got there!

ladythatlunches Tue 28-May-13 14:05:50

I have ended up sleeping in her floor. There isn't room for anything for me to sleep on so I make do with a pillow and cover on the floor sad only thing that keeps her happy to at least lie down.

She hasn't had a nap for so long I woyld say about 11 months. She has a really good bedtime routine she goes to bed nice and early we have tried putting her to bed later and earlier no change.

I will see about her diet she is a good eater eats what we have not a fan of fruit though but other than that pretty good.

I am going to look on amazon now for a night light thank you.

I will try anything

CreatureRetorts Tue 28-May-13 14:24:41

Can you get a cube chair thing? They fold up so take up little space - just a foam cube bed. We used one with ds. Sleeping on the floor isn't sustainable sad

Unlurked Tue 28-May-13 15:29:46

I've just remembered the other thing that I think really helped my dd. We stopped talking about her sleep issues. We stopped asking her what she was scared of, stopped talking about her/me being tired, didn't give her any encouragement to stay in bed, never spoke about it in front of her (and made sure grandparents didn't either). There's nothing they can do about being scared, they're too young to rationalise and it just stresses them out when they're awake if grown ups keep going on about it.

Nothing worked overnight for my dd but I think this was one thing that helped her to relax and eventually the nightmares stopped.

ladythatlunches Tue 28-May-13 16:33:21

Thank you. Im wondering if it's more a separation issue. She seams extra clingy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now