Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Dd attacked by a Power Ranger

(20 Posts)
swedishmum Wed 24-May-06 17:13:17

Out shopping with dd (2) today and a "lively" little girl dressed as a power ranger went to karate kick her (but missed). Mum went mad at her, kept slapping her, told her to apologise (she didn't actually touch dd) then kept on slapping and slapping her. I'm sure I should have said more than it was fine, my dd was fine but was shocked. She then said, "Why did you kick her? That's not what Power Rangers do." Er, actually, I think it's exactly what Power Rangers do.

fattiemumma Wed 24-May-06 18:12:01

No wonder the child jumps at people. not only does she watch power rangers probably unsupervised but she is clearly ina househld where the way to teach not to hit is to errr...HIT!

how ridiculous. my DS watches power rangers but i make sure that he realises that its only a tv programme and that he musnt do as he see's them do. he cant make spells like Harry potter, he cant fly like dumbo and he cant run and jump abuot hitting peple like Power rangers

ssd Wed 24-May-06 18:17:02

My ds absolutely loves power rangers, he does try out the moves but never actually on people. He's not a hitter either.

sugarfree Wed 24-May-06 18:31:09

Your mother hit the Power Ranger???

swedishmum Wed 24-May-06 18:38:50

Bizarre mental picture of my mum hitting an unruly child with a handbag! Sadly my mum has died but I could see her doing it - very protective of her grandchildren!!

Pfer Wed 24-May-06 19:11:08

I think the powerrangers mum hit her, not swedishmums mum..... or have I got it wrong and it was a mad granny?

sugarfree Wed 24-May-06 19:44:18

Aahh! Thank-you,now it all makes sense.Except the teaching your kids not to hit by hitting them.Nasty Power Ranger Mum.

Twiglett Wed 24-May-06 19:47:26

power rangers fight monsters not people

GeorginaA Wed 24-May-06 20:25:40

Incidentally, never having seen Power Rangers - what age is it suitable from? Ds1 (aged 5) is BEGGING for a Power Rangers SPD DVD but I'm not totally convinced yet... (although to be fair, he's not really a "copy what you've seen on tv" type lad)

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 20:47:44

(DS2 has watched it from , er, 3 probably DS1 from 5) It's utter cr*p

Lact8 Wed 24-May-06 20:50:06

ds1 nine now and still watching it so you've got years left yet sd!

GeorginaA Wed 24-May-06 21:09:52

Ah... so best avoid it and just lie and say it's too old for him?

swedishmum Wed 24-May-06 21:10:14

So you're suggesting my daughter's a monster??

I would have laughed if the mum hadn't started attacking her daughter (please note for clarification - mum of power ranger, not my mum ) - what do I know? I thought power rangers were over and done with years ago. If I took my dd out dressed as a power ranger, and kept saying come on power ranger, I'd kind of expect her to kick people.
Not what I expect in Bluewater on a Wednesday morning!

ssd Wed 24-May-06 21:36:45

Lact8, you've got me worried!!

swedishmum, power rangers have been going for around 10 years now. actually on a serious note, as I was watching a tv programme about the terrible shootings in Dunblane primary 10 yrs ago, at the end there was a special glass window dedicated to the children who lost their lives. The artist asked each parent what their children liked and etched a drawing done on the glass window dedicated to each child. There was a drawing of a power ranger on the glass, the children who were shot were 5 years old. My ds is 5 and as I said power rangers mad. It makes me cry every time I think of that etching done for a wee boy who was shot by a maniac. .

Twiglett Thu 25-May-06 08:20:39

Georgina ... Power Rangers seems to be a bonding thing between DS and friends .. he's also been watching it from about 3 or 4

yes its total crap .. but its all highly moral tales with appalling martial arts fighting and gay costumes

as long as you are happy to leave the room when its on I'd let him have it .. because it would melt the brain of anyone who's passed through puberty

Bozza Thu 25-May-06 08:39:51

I sort of agree with twiglett except that I know that he would get absolutely obsessed by it and drive me mad. However he goes to his friends and watches it there. Good solution methinks. He has some of the power rangers accessories accessories which he likes playing with too. And I did buy the "big boys" a small power ranger toy to go in their party bags from DD's birthday last week.

Actually it might be a good idea to get one to counteract his current major football obsession....

GeorginaA Thu 25-May-06 12:35:34

Oh in that case I might get it - have no objections to leaving the room . He's got loads of the toys now and his best friend is madly into Power Rangers so socially it'd probably be quite good I suppose...

SoupDragon Thu 25-May-06 12:49:41

hahahahaha! You'll be Power Ranger Central before you know it...

GeorginaA Thu 25-May-06 12:51:18

I'll send out an SOS if I can no longer see out over the top of a big pile of plastic rangers

FioFio Thu 25-May-06 12:51:37

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: