loader

Talk

Advanced search

Reducing milk feeds

(7 Posts)
acoop1985 Sun 26-May-13 12:03:01

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help.

My little boy is 6 and a half months old. I started weaning him about 3-4 weeks ago, and I am doing the baby led weaning (BLW).

This week I got him weighed, and the health visitor advised me I should start cutting down all his bottles. At the moment he has 4, (sometimes 5 if he wakes in the night) 7oz bottles a day.
She has told me to cut them down to as little as 4 oz's a bottle.

My concern with this, is that with BLW he isn't eating enough yet to replace his milk. He is still learning to eat, but sometimes meal times are just about exploring still for him. He doesn't know yet that food can fill him up.

The BLW book says you should let your baby tell you when he doesn't want the milk anymore, and to let them guide you.
If I was breastfeeding, i wouldn't reduce his feeds, I would let him eat/drink as much as he wanted, so that goes against what the health visitor has said.

Has anyone else done BLW that can give me some advise?
I don't want to over feed him, but i don't want him to go hungry either.

He never cry's for food during the day, but for the last week, he has cried every time he has finished his bottle (7oz). I don't know if this is because he want's more, because it is soothing for his gums, or because now he is on a faster flowing teat he is drinking faster, so he thinks he is having less. Any advise/experience on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

Amanda

Jinty64 Sun 26-May-13 12:15:32

I wouldn't cut down his milk but would offer him water from a cup with his meals. Is she concerned about his weight?

But then I didn't take mine to the HV very often and strangely enough they have turned out ok.

ExBrightonBell Sun 26-May-13 14:03:41

Hmm. The guidelines are that babies of 6 months who are weaning still need around 600ml a day (if on formula), which is about 21 to 22 oz.

(e.g. www.babycentre.co.uk/x552734/how-much-milk-does-my-six-month-old-baby-need)

But this is given as a minimum, not a maximum or a target. Babies are all different and may take different amounts of milk. Your baby is having 28 to 35oz of milk - and is not eating much at the minute. He may also be having a growth spurt. The HV suggestion of 4oz would mean only giving 16 to 20oz which doesn't seem enough to me.

If you are happy with how your baby is getting on then you don't have to go to the HV. I haven't taken my ds since he was about 5 1/2 months - he's now nearly 11 months. I can see that he is doing well and weighs a normal amount, so I don't bother with the HV.

I sit him on my bathroom scales occasionally to get a rough idea of what he weighs - the hard part is getting him to stay out for long enough!

acoop1985 Sun 26-May-13 18:11:15

Thanks for your advise!!

He is still on the same percentile as he has always been. He recently lost weight after being ill, so i am definitely not concerned about his over eating.

I think i will just follow my own instincts and just lose a bottle when he starts actually eating more.

Thank you!!

Jinty64 Sun 26-May-13 19:24:45

I think that's very wise.

JustynaSegs Mon 27-May-13 17:55:43

Hi I'm a mum of 11 months old baby and we've been doing baby led weaning since she was 6 months old. At the beginning she was as you said mainly practising and experimenting with the food but then around 8-9 months she realised that if you eat you can actually fill your stomach and started to eat more and drink less milk. My HV was always saying to follow the baby and give her as much as she wants and also this is one of the principles of baby lead weaning so why would you do it with solids and not milk. I think baby knows best how much she/he wants to eat and will definitely let you know about it. I hope that helps.

how odd. my baby is 7 months and breastfed and I got told exactly the same thing by a HV this week! although I disagreed with her and told her that DD the same as your DC is too distracted to eat much during the day so fills up at night and I am happy to continue feeding on demand for as long as she needs! I really should learn to smile and nod grin

But I don't honestly see how a baby is going to have mastered the art of chewing and digesting enough solid food after a few weeks to replace any milk feeds. I'm sticking with my instincts on this one...I did BLW with DS and gave milk on demand and he gradually cut feeds by himself. I think a lot of HVs (and HCPs for that matter) put a lot of their own opinions into their advice. I'm thinking about not going back to get DD weighed until her next review..somehow some HVs manage to get me worrying about things I hadn't even thought of worrying about only to realise it probably wasn't worth worrying about at all.

I honestly don't think babies overfeed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now