Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I prepare my 3 year old for his pre-school boosters?

(26 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Sat 25-May-13 20:09:03

DS has an appointment to have these in a couple of weeks. Its 2 injections. Can't decide how to manage it as he's not going to like it!! Should I explain beforehand, wait until just before the appointment, or even wait until we're in the room?? I know that sounds harsh but I think if he knows in advance he'll panic and won't even go in! And also once he's had the first injection, the second is presumably going to be even more difficult - he's big for his age so holding him still will be difficult. Any suggestions? What did you do with your dcs? Am I worrying too much??

HaveToWearHeels Sat 25-May-13 20:13:17

I wouldn't say a word, it is a bit mean but like your DS, my DD would have been worrying about it had I said something. She had the first one which was OK then got a bit upset when she realised another one was coming, that one bled and she was hysterical but a plaster, a sticker from the nurse and the promise of a packet of Maltesers and she was fine in no time.
Maybe take a treat with you as I had to then go to the shops lol.

HaveToWearHeels Sat 25-May-13 20:13:43

I wouldn't say a word, it is a bit mean but like your DS, my DD would have been worrying about it had I said something. She had the first one which was OK then got a bit upset when she realised another one was coming, that one bled and she was hysterical but a plaster, a sticker from the nurse and the promise of a packet of Maltesers and she was fine in no time.
Maybe take a treat with you as I had to then go to the shops lol.

defineme Sat 25-May-13 20:17:02

I explained to my twins what it was and what it was for. I said it might hurt a little bit, but we would be going for a big ice cream afterwards. They raced in, said they could hardly feel it and liked the ice cream.

Iggi101 Sat 25-May-13 20:18:02

I'd go with bribery, but then I'm a crap parent! When ds1 had his, he had to be dropped back to nursery after, which actually worked out really well as a few were having/had had them that week, so they were acting brave in front of eachother - the plasters became a badge of honour!

AuntPepita Sat 25-May-13 20:22:29

There is an episode of 'Get well soon' about injections, called 'inject to protect' we watched it loads beforehand, really prepared dd, who was really keen to have them and didn't even flinch. Amazing.

MrsBungle Sat 25-May-13 20:23:49

My dd had them a few weeks ago. I said nothing about it until the morning when I just said we were off to see the nurse for some medicine. I told her it would be injections and might sting a little bit but I knew she was a big brave girl and that she could choose any sweetie she wanted at the shop afterwards!

She was fine although she did cry a little bit!

Plinkityplonk Sat 25-May-13 20:26:59

Yep bribery all the way. I told ds2 in the morning just a few hours before we went. I didn't want to tell him too far in advance but I wanted to let him know what would be happening. I just kept it really low key, told him the injections were to stop him getting poorly & he chose a magazine and some chocolate in the newsagent on the way to the surgery & let him have them straight after.

(He was absolutely fine & the nurse was so quick he didn't even get time to cry).

lljkk Sat 25-May-13 20:29:53

I promised mine a lolly.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sat 25-May-13 20:32:55

I didn't say anything until about an hour before, then told her that we had to go to the Drs for her pre-school booster injections (she'd been with me when I'd taken the baby so she knew what was involved) & that I wasn't going to lie to her, it would hurt a bit maybe even a lot, but that afterwards we'd go to the cafe for a hot chocolate & a biscuit smile

She was very brave for the first one, but cried a little bit at the second one, she said that one hurt a lot more (I think she'd just used up all her bravery!), but we had a cuddle - then it was off to the cafe & all forgotten about!

teacherwith2kids Sat 25-May-13 20:34:36

'You need to have injections to stop you from being ill when you are big. They hurt a tiny bit, but much less than being ill would. One of the things that you are given will stop you getting ill like my Grandpa, who stopped being able to walk because he got an illness called polio when he was only a tiny bit older than you'

No tears, just stoicism, and a polite 'Thank you for stopping me being ill when I get big' to the GP!

DS has many ASD traits, and needs preparing for what will happen next. Not telling him would never have occurred to me.

christinarossetti Sat 25-May-13 20:35:14

Agree with above. Tell him just beforehand. Assure that there will be big treat afterwards. Surgeries often have stickers/balloons etc to give to children having jabs too.

mamij Sat 25-May-13 20:39:05

DD1 just had hers. I told her before - it will protect you from nasty viruses, it will only hurt a little, you're such a brave girl etc. Also took her out to choose a lollipop beforehand, as a special treat to have after her injections.

Nurse who administered vaccines said it was a good idea letting them know before going into the room.

teacherwith2kids Sat 25-May-13 20:40:01

I didn't, by the way, give him or promise him a treat because he had injections. I did, though, go to the bakery afterwards to get biscuits for tea because 'you being so polite to the doctor made me feel really happy'.

I don't do bribery (as in 'promised treats for certain behaviour'. I do do surprise rewards for when behaviour / anything else has made me feel happy and generous - like more recently when DS and DD's reports were partiicularly fantastic and I abandoned supper cooking half way in favour of a meal out. I just don't like the 'expectedness' that comes with bribery. Spontaneity just seems to suit us better.

Jacksterbear Sat 25-May-13 20:40:03

I told ds it was a kind of medicine that would stop him getting poorly and that would be put into his arm with a syringe. We "practised" on his arm beforehand using the kind of syringes you give babies medicine with (ie no needle!). I did not tell him there would be a needle on the real thing! Felt bad but like others, was worried I wouldn't even get him in the room if he knew the whole truth!

YoniOneWayOfLife Sat 25-May-13 20:43:53

We just had this and I said as we got out of the car that we were going to get some medicine. DS is keen on all medicine and started fake coughing. When we got into the nurse's room I got out a packet of chocolate buttons. He looked slightly agreved as he was jabbed, but I opened the buttons and all was well.

I did the pre-warning thing with DD and all that got me was her kicking and screaming and snarling 'you are not stabbing holes in my arms, lady' hmm

iliketea Sat 25-May-13 20:46:20

Tell the truth combined with bribery. I told dd she was going to have medicine in her arms that will stop her being sick. And that it would hurt a bit, so she might cry but that was allowed and mummy had arranged it because it was very important. That and she got to choose a sweetie to have after the appointment that she took with her and got to have afterwards, while we were waiting the necessary 10 minutes in the surgery afterwards.

I figure that at 3 1/2 they can understand why you are doing something and honesty (in understandable terms) was very important.

defineme Sat 25-May-13 21:14:04

I don't think telling them there'll be a better bit to the day later is bribery, is it? I just thought it was letting them look forward to a treat and pay less attention to the part of the day where they get stabbed in the arm...

MousyMouse Sat 25-May-13 21:16:20

truth + bribery
it's mean and potentialy traumatising not to imo.
dc got a present to open afterwards. no tears no tantrums.

shallweshop Sat 25-May-13 21:21:34

I didn't say anything to my 2 DC. I just went to the surgery and let the nurse explain what she was going to do when we were in there. I don't see any point in warning them and letting them fret about it - it means nothing to a 3 year old. My two didn't cry and got smarties from the nurse as soon as it was over.

Beatrixpotty Sat 25-May-13 21:33:23

Didn't say anything until about an hour before and then said we're going to the doctors to get an injection to stop you getting a virus.He'd seen me having blood tests & injections whilst pregnant and was quite curious.Had a chocolate lolly ready for afterwards but he really was fine,didn't even cry and was delighted with his sticker from the nurse.

onceipopicantstop Sun 26-May-13 20:18:39

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. Sounds as though some preparation and the promise of a treat is the way to go!

ClaimedByMe Sun 26-May-13 20:19:55

We just casually told them the morning of the jabs and made sure we had a treat for when they came out but neither of my dc were bothered.

SizzleSazz Sun 26-May-13 20:22:13

The nurse tried to offer dd2 a sweet but she refused and pointed at the punned of strawberries on the desk which a previous kind patient had given the nurse blush

StealthPolarBear Sun 26-May-13 20:23:15

Yes I told dd that day, that it would hurt a little but would protect her fom getting an illness that would hurt a lot more. I was so nervous but she was fine, wasnt bothered even thoughit was 2 injections. Jst said it didnt hurt. SShe's a tough one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now