Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Would you buy your dd a Power Rangers schoolbag?

(14 Posts)
trefusis Wed 24-May-06 12:55:43

Message withdrawn

JanH Wed 24-May-06 12:58:15

Think you've shot yourself in the foot by insisting there aren't any boys' things or girls' things, trefusis - that means a Power Rangers bag must be gender neutral!

Anyway there are girl Power Rangers - go on... get it for her

JanH Wed 24-May-06 12:58:59

(Assuming she still wants it by then that is)

zippitippitoes Wed 24-May-06 12:59:00

If she wants it and it's not exorbitantly expensive/shoddy I'd just get it..she'll then have to use it (point this out first), and before you get it show her some other options..there must be loads which are neither boy nor girl

mumfor1standfinaltime Wed 24-May-06 12:59:17

I would get one.
My sister was exactly the same! She had Teenage Mutant turtles on everything and wasnt interested in anything else!
I do think that some girls (and boys) go through this stage and think it is possibly them exploring different areas of tastes and self disovery.
If it makes you feel better - my nephew has a favourite bag at the moment - a pink fluffy one!

charliecat Wed 24-May-06 13:01:07

this might appeal? Take the plate etc out of it and its a good sized bag.
I would buy one for my dds for school, as im sure the other girls would take the piss, but for home yeah.

trefusis Wed 24-May-06 13:05:17

Message withdrawn

trefusis Wed 24-May-06 13:08:56

Message withdrawn

frogs Wed 24-May-06 13:16:50

Ah yes, this is a phase. But quite a long one. Dd1 (11) has one skirt, worn very occasionally under duress. The rest of the time it's combats, hoodies and converse, the scruffier the better. Acceptable lunch boxes have been Harry Potter; Dennis the Menace and some hideous camo thing she's got atm. And short hair cuts. Anything vaguely pink, or featuring any girlish character is totally unacceptable. On the bright side, we've managed to bypass completely the whole preteen slapperwear things, which is even more deeply objectionable to me than a daughter who tries to look as if she's just been pulled from a skip.

I'd go with it, on the whole, drawing the line only at things I personally cannot stand to look at, such as shiny football strips. But make it clear to her that if she changes her mind or gets teased about it, you're not going to run out and get her a new bag.

WigWamBam Wed 24-May-06 13:29:19

One of dd's friends is like this - she wants to be a boy, always dresses in blue, has her hair cut short, insisted on the boys' food box and party bag at dd's party because "I'm not a girl" ... her mother just lets her get on with it because confrontation just makes her dig her heels in even harder. She wears a boy's coat, she has a boy's backpack (Spiderman, I think) and lunchbox, and insists on wearing the boys' uniform trousers rather than the girls'. If it's any consolation, no-one has ever laughed at her or bullied her for it; she is accepted by both girls and boys for who she is.

trefusis Wed 24-May-06 13:33:16

Message withdrawn

sandyballs Wed 24-May-06 13:39:40

One of my twin DDs (5) is like this. She has a spiderman lunch box, spiderman pyjamas and slippers and lives in jeans, combats and boyish t-shirts, tops. Also has a short bob, won't grow her hair long. It's just a phase that we shall all look back on one day and laugh. It horrifies mother-in-law, which does seem to make me encourage it a little to be honest . During lunch on Sunday MIL announced "She is definitely going to the join the army that girl, I've always thought it, haven't you". WTF??? Er, no, its never crossed my mind.

Her twin sister is head to toe in pink and has to have her hair done perfectly before bed.

frogs Wed 24-May-06 13:43:34

Ours came from Matalan, trefusis, should you be tempted. I've seen several variants on D the M though, so other places must be doing them too. Woolies?

trefusis Wed 24-May-06 14:57:05

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: