Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Having a filling at 5 years old?

(9 Posts)
gigglewiggle Wed 24-May-06 10:41:03

My ds went to the dentist recently and needs a filling...but the way i see it..it doesnt give him any problems etc and surely the tooth will fall out soon.

So is it really necessary for him to have a filling? Dont really trust the dentist.

Jasnem Wed 24-May-06 10:44:19

Probably not if it's about to fall out anyway, but back teeth in particular may not come out for a few years. In that time the tooth will decay further, and may damage the adult tooth under it.

I'd get it done if it was my child.

tyedye Wed 24-May-06 11:06:43

Message withdrawn

gigglewiggle Wed 24-May-06 11:15:55

i was worried that they would give him a needle but if they dont then thats fine.

Thanks for your help.

justmummy Wed 24-May-06 11:45:38

My ds had a filling as well - no needles or drilling they just fill the hole. It'll be fine. I know how you're worrying but it was really fine.

ComeOVeneer Wed 24-May-06 11:53:33

If you don't trust the dentist find a new one.

mumfor1standfinaltime Wed 24-May-06 12:25:17

They could do a 'fissure sealant'(sp) which is like a temporay filling. I have had this done whilst pg. It is a coating over the hole. No needles.

I have no fillings at all, just a few of these.

mumfor1standfinaltime Wed 24-May-06 12:29:10

fissuresealant

ComeOVeneer Wed 24-May-06 20:32:25

Fissure sealants are done on sound teeth to prevent decay. Not suitable to put over an existing hole and decay.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: