Talk

Advanced search

Weaning a NEWBORN on Icecream and choclate.

(8 Posts)
mummy2under2 Thu 23-May-13 18:35:21

Okay.. so I have a friend whos baby is now 5 weeks old. and she told me she gve her a taste of grapes not long ago ( dont know how old she was then ) then she told me she tried her on choclate too and that she loved it. and infront of me when i was giving my son who was 6 week old ( 7 week today) the booby i looked back up and she was giving her girl some icecream!! then the baby came out in awful rashes on her leg. i saiid i idnt wanana lecture her so i said probs best not to give her that! she saw her hv yesturday but 'forgot to mention she gave dd icecream and she had a rash right after but mentioned the rash..
what would you say or do? she told me she knows all the guidlines.
not to mention she gives her daughter formula that has been out for 4 hours! after her dd drink half of it. i told her bout the 1 hour after been in babys mouth to which she said she knows and tht it aint gona kil her.

whattodoo Thu 23-May-13 18:39:21

Wow. Poor baby. Could you speak to the baby's father or someone else your friend might listen to to express your concerns?

TallGiraffe Thu 23-May-13 18:47:36

Do you have the same HV? If so, could you mention your concerns to her? Is this her first?

mummy2under2 Thu 23-May-13 20:28:27

Her first yes and i dont know who her hv we dont live in same area, and never met babies dad, were not like best of friends. we have only met for meals/cofee few times only known her month or 2 we met when pregnant..

mummy2benji Thu 23-May-13 21:10:48

I'm afraid that is a social services issue and should be taken seriously. I am a GP and appalled that someone would put their baby in such danger. They should not try solids before 16/17 weeks because it can damage their kidneys Please tell a health professional who can get involved and speak to her, before the baby is admitted to hospital with serious health issues.

Shallistopnow Thu 23-May-13 21:19:32

Tell her as seriously as you can that the baby should not be having anything apart from milk. As she's not a close friend I wouldn't worry about offending her!

Snazzywaitingforsummer Thu 23-May-13 21:26:18

Speak to your own HV and give her all the details you can so that this women's own HV can follow it up. That's way out of line with such a young baby. Good on you for trying to tell her but something more is needed now.

AlwaysWashing Thu 23-May-13 21:28:30

She's either REALLY stupid or actually trying to do her DC harm.
You need to report her & the situation before the poor baby gets food poisoning or her health is damaged long term.

I don't usually respond in this way to posts but FFS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now